Please sign in to post.

Currency conversion

Any thoughts on best place around Seattle to convert dollars to pounds. I've used ATMs at Paddington, etc. but I'm one who likes to exchange some money before leaving home.

Posted by
5678 posts

Did you contact your bank? When I lived in Madison I used to get some pounds from M&I Bank to have on hand for arrival. I am sure that some people will post that you should just wait, but like you, I'm cautious and want to have some ready cash. I figure that the poorer rate is one more budget item on my trip. ; ) Pam

Posted by
3428 posts

If you are a AAA member, you can get currency there.

Posted by
1851 posts

Does "best" mean cheapest or most convenient? I always change $200-300 at the airport before I leave. I realize I am probably paying an extra $10-20 for the convenience, but I am saving on time and gas money.......Many suggest just waiting until you get there and using the ATM at the airport. However, the ATM's aren't always easy to find when you're tired and need ground transportation cash ASAP. Also, if you are flying on flights within the EU, not all of the arrival terminals have ATMs.

Posted by
15 posts

I meant cheapest, I have gone through BofA, but will try AAA. I remember being in a taxi from Paddington when a fellow passenger apparently newly arrived paid the cabbie in dollars having not changed any money. The driver was definitely not happy about it. Several ATMs at Paddington.

Posted by
484 posts

If you belong to a credit union or a small community bank check with them. They will normally have a much lower rate than any of the mega banks.

Posted by
3580 posts

In England I look for a Barclay's ATM because of my bank's deal with them. In the past I found Barclay's ATMs at Heathrow; now I see only nameless ATMs. I walk on past and wait until I get into London for an ATM withdrawal. It always helps to have enough money to get into town. I save some pounds after each trip. I have bought foreign currency thru my bank at home at about a 6% increase over interbank rates. Sometimes the convenience is worth it. It takes only a day or two for me to get euros of British pounds. Your bank in Seattle should be able to do this transaction for you.