Please sign in to post.

Cornwall

I have been to the UK twice but have never ventured down to Cornwall. After looking at various webpages and reading a bit I think I would like to go down that way. If you have been to Cornwall, please let me know what you enjoyed and places you may have stayed. Thanks very much.

Posted by
1068 posts

I loved St. Ives - if you search this site I am sure you will find many detailed raves. I loved St. Just, which is positively adorable and steeped in mining and fishing history. There's a super old church - 15th century? I loved Penzance. The Penlee House, which is a sort of gallery/museum and has a cute cafe, sticks out in my mind. Land's End is magical. I spent a couple of days and just walked. The views are incredible has wonderful walks - incredible views - amazing scenery! At least when I was there it was all free - and the Visitor's Centre has a guide that's a pound, or some similar cheap price. The Guardian's website gives a top-ten rundown for Cornwall that looks pretty awesome: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/mar/14/top-10-cornwall-activity-holidays We stayed at the hostel - Lands End Hostel and B&B - and it was great. Cheap, cheerful, CLEAN, and close to the seaside and the gorgeous scenery!

Posted by
409 posts

Just returned from a week in Port Isaac...last year we stayed in St. Buryan near Penzance. In Port Isaac we rented a cottage, in St. Buryan we stayed in a B&B. We LOVE Cornwall and would be glad to share more with you...just send me a personal message through this site. Particular favorites: Padstow, Fowey, Mevagissey, Boscastle and just up into Devon - Clovelly.

Posted by
964 posts

Land's End is great, and also Truro; there's lots of lovely places in Cornwall. Mousehole is very pretty. If you do go to Cornwall, you might like to visit the Eden Centre.

Posted by
167 posts

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. I am just beginning the planning for a trip of 2013 so all this will be of great help as I decide where we will go.

Posted by
993 posts

Jerry, We used Mevagissey as a base during one trip and Helston and Falmouth on another. My favorite things are Tintagel Castle, The Lost Gardens of Heligen, The Minack, St Michaels Mount, Port Isaac and Roddas clotted cream. Love Mevagissey!! Our room at our B&B (Buckingham House) overlooked the surrounding rooftops and down to the sea. The GPS in our little car took us thru fields and for a ride on the King Harry Ferry. Cornwall is lovely..can't wait to go back.

Posted by
167 posts

Seems like there is a lot to explore in Cornwall; I cant wait to get an itinerary made and start the planning to go. Thanks to all for their suggestions. Has anyone gone up into Devon to Watersmeet? I just came across it yesterday and it looks like it would be really interesting and beautiful.

Posted by
409 posts

Went into Devon to visit Clovelly, which I highly recommend. Hard to imagine a more picturesque spot. We had cream tea overlooking the harbor below....wonderful.

Posted by
964 posts

Cornwall and Devon are really beautiful, so I hope you go and enjoy. One thing I would say though- if you're going in peak season (late July/August) and planning on driving, the roads do get quite congested. Not a big deal, I know, but a consideration when planning drive times.