Please sign in to post.

Converter for Ireland/Northern Ireland

I am traveling to Ireland/Northern Ireland in August and need to to purchase a voltage converter and adapters. We will be charging a digital camera and electirc razor and bringing a hair dryer. The camera will be fine with just an adapter, but I need a converter for the razor and hair dryer. Where did everyone buy their converters and adapters? I was looking at these 2 converters from Magellans.

Thanks for any help!

Posted by
1003 posts

Are you sure that your hotels won't provide hairdryers either in your room or at the desk for free or a nominal fee? What a pain to carry not only a hairdryer but a converter (and dang, those things are HEAVY) just for a hair dryer? And is it worth the hassle for an electric razor?

Anyway, if you must take these things and if you must get a converter, I'd go with the 2nd one (the white EuroSurge) because it weighs 6 ounces as oppozed to 16 - big difference for one little item. Plus it has 2 input plugs, so that might be convenient. They both appear to have the round european plugs, and that is different from what's used in the UK, so I would also just check to make sure they can be used with the proper UK Adapter. Happy travels :)

Posted by
8700 posts

Before you buy a converter, check your razor and hair dryer again. My razor is dual voltage and automatically switches between 110 and 220. My wife's travel hair dryer has a switch to change voltages.

Posted by
389 posts

Robin, if you feel the need to take a hairdryer (I am) I suggest looking at travel dryers that have 110/220 so that you don't need the converter. I own one but only took it once. Too heavy and easier to just buy one. They run between $20 and $40. Mine is the $19.95 one. If you need a curlining iron I've seen dual voltage for $10 at Target. Then you can use your investments for a very long time and not have to drag around the heavy converter.