Cingular phone/charger question

Have any of you taken your Cingular phone to London & been able to charge it without "frying" it? Do you have to use both a convertor & adapter?

Posted by Norm
Ottawa, Canada
4555 posts

Check your charger unit....if it says it handles voltages up to 220 or 240, then you can use it in Europe with just an adapter plug. If it says 110 volts only, then you will need a transformer and the adapter plugs. Make sure your phone works on one of the European frequencies...900 or 1800 Mhz, or all the charging in the world won't make it work in London ;)

Posted by Ellen
Centennial, CO, USA
1508 posts

I used my Cigular Raz'r phone in Switzerland and charged it with no worries. Took my plug adaptor with me, no converter needed. I'm sure it's the same in England. By the way, my phone worked great - even better than here in the US!

Posted by Erik
Chandler, AZ, USA
112 posts

You all do realize you need your phone "unlocked" from Cingular/ATT (or T-Mobile) - otherwise you will only be able to make calls on your US account and pay exorbitant roaming charges. You won't be able to put in pre-paid SIM cards purchases in London or elsewhere.

Posted by Michelle
Anaheim, CA, USA
1427 posts

If you plan on using your phone, make sure its a tri or quad band. Otherwise it will be useless.

As for charging it, when in doubt use a converter. The converter is easy and not expensive, and you've rather be safe than sorry.

Posted by Erik
Chandler, AZ, USA
112 posts

If you'd like to know if your phone has GSM 900 or 1800 frequencies for use outside the US (as tri-band or quad-band phones do), go to and find it. If it only has GSM 1900 or GSM 1900 & GSM 800, it'll work almost exclusively in North America only.

Posted by BOB
19 posts

I used mine in France and England with no problems.
I talked to Cingular and paid the $5/month fee to make my phone a world wide, dropped it after I returned home, I would give them a call.