Please sign in to post.

Christmas in London

My family of six, all adults, will be visiting London Dec. 24-Dec. 29, 2011. Any suggestions on what to do on the 25th and 26th? What will be open?

Posted by
8293 posts

What will be open? Not very much. On Christmas Day even the tube will be almost closed down and Boxing Day will not be much better. Taxis will be around, of course. Ask your hotel to make reservations for your group for Dec. 25 dinner somewhere, although a lot of ethnic restaurants & some pubs will be open. If you are staying in an apartment it might be fun to shop for and cook your own dinner for Dec. 25 ... I am trying not to assume that you celebrate the date as a religious holiday.

Posted by
872 posts

Will you be arriving to London on the 24th? I remember my uncle and his family visited London over Christmas and arrived on the 24th and had more difficulties with closures and limited availability that day than the 26th. The 26th is Boxing Day, so based on what he said, everyone spilled out and did things with no problems. You could go shopping (will be very crowded, but an experience) or site seeing. You could do the Westminster walking tour outlined by Rick Steves', walk down Oxford Street to see the lights and decorations, or maybe take in a theatrical show. If you are staying in a hotel, contact them and see if they have any suggestions for a place within walking distance. Try to do a curry dinner. I think that is very British thing to do.

Posted by
1829 posts

If it the same as past years there will be no public transport at all in London. The services start shutting down on Christmas Eve. On Boxing day there will be a Sunday service but very often, because of the absence of commuters between Christmas and the New Year, various lines will have maintenance work going on and therefore subject to disruption. On the other hand a lot of shops start their winter saleson Boxing Day! Take a look at the London Forum on Tripadvisor nearer the time. Every year one of the regular posters lists what is open over the period. My NZ relatives spent time in London just after Christmas last year and they really enjoyed the lack of crowds/traffic and felt it had a more relaxed atmosphere. They also got a good deal on their hotel which was at the City end of town and therefore empty of its usual business customers.

Posted by
1986 posts

When I lived in London (many years ago) Christmas was very dead (family time) but on Boxing Day there were a number of tours out to the country - not the standard tours. Also its a great time for waking through the parks and along the Thames near richmond, Teddington, Henley etc. Now if you can wangle a small boat..... And based on the above- assume "Boxing day" activity will be on the tuesday

Posted by
8688 posts

Having spent Xmas in London 3 times I can tell you it's quiet but not dead. Public transport is almost non existent. Some stores will open on the Bank holiday. Capitalism and after Xmas sales go hand in hand. Harrod's will be closed though. However, if anyone is interested in football (soccer) or rugby jerseys, plus other sports clothing and equipment etc. Lillywhite's at Piccadilly Circus is THE place to go. As far as things to do try to see a Panto on the 24th or, if you have an interest, Midnight Mass at St Paul's is fabulous! Start looking at Timeout London online in November. Look for Pantos, Xmas Markets, Choirs, etc. Preview which restaurants will be serving Xams dinner and make reservations for your party. If you don't wish to make reservations you'll find that many ethnic restaurants are open on Dec. 25. Simply another calendar day. One year we found a pub that was open. Served a roast beef dinner with trimmings. All decked out with noel decorations and, of course, we each got party poppers. Fine English tradition and much fun. Place was packed with locals instead of tourists. Early Xmas morning, (7am) the 100 year old Peter Pan Cup race is held at the Serpentine in Hyde Park. Interesting way to start they day. After watching the quick race it's a lovely time to stroll around the large park. Great people watching! Xmas eve options: Any ice skaters amongst you? The Somerset House has a rink. You could also enjoy the Trafalgar Square Xmas tree OR take in the landmark Regent, Bond or Oxford street(s)light displays. Some new light installations are being added to Covent Garden this year. I love London at Xmas time but you will need to search websites for the Tower, Museums, etc to double check if they'll be open on the bank holidays. Very walkable city and at Xmas it's a perfect way to explore the city. Have a great trip.

Posted by
678 posts

Be aware that because Christmas falls on Sunday this year and Boxing Day on Monday, Tuesday, Dec 27 will also be a bank holiday so there will be an additional day of closures.

Posted by
1986 posts

I do not know whether the trafalgar sqaure Christmas carols last until Dec 24th. Lots of fun if they do.

Posted by
809 posts

Another option to investigate is London Walks. Their website assures me that they hold walks 365 days a year, so you could look at their schedules for Dec 25, 26, and 27 . Teenaged daughter and I have done a number of their 2-hour walks and enjoyed every one!