Please sign in to post.

Christmas in London

My friend and I are planning to spend Christmas in London. I was wondering where we should go, if there are any good suggestions on where to stay that is cheap. And also whether we should spend all 7 days in London or if we should split the time between London and somewhere else. Also is there transportation to the airport on Boxing day? Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

In the past the schedule for the Underground on Boxing Day has been the same as on Sundays. This means lines start running later than they do on weekdays. Go here for first and last Tube timetables.

Posted by
809 posts

Katelyn, it's very hard for us to advise you about how long to stay in London since we don't know your interests. My daughter and I spent a week there in 2007 and still had things to do on our return for 4 days this past August - theater, museums, historical sites [did you know that London has the Benjamin Franklin House, where he lived for 16 years?], plus possible day trips to Oxford, Cambridge, Stonehenge, etc., etc., etc. You could take a look at the itinerary for Rick's 7-day London tour to get an idea of how to fill your days. If you decide to go elsewhere for part of the time, there are plenty of options that are easy to reach - we spent 2 days in Stratford upon Avon, and many people recommend Bath.

For lodging, we have had very good luck with 2 B&B networks - At Home in London and London Home to Home. Check their websites; both have homes all over central London and beyond. In 2007 we stayed in Chiswick for 55 GBP per night including full English breakfast; this past August we were near the Gloucester Road tube stop for 75 pounds per night. PM me if you'd like any more specifics - and have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
8700 posts

What's your budget for lodging? Are you open to staying in a hostel or do you want a B&B or hotel?

I recommend that you spend all your nights in London. Take one or two day trips outside the city and come back to the same bed each night. There are lots of wonderful places that are a short train or bus ride away, but which one(s) to choose depends upon your interests.

For ideas, buy the 2010 edition of Rick Steves London guidebook. It has recommendations for lodging, sightseeing, and day trips.

Posted by
37 posts

Hello Katelyn,

My family spent Christmas in London two years ago and it was absolutely fabulous. If you only have 7 days I would also recommend that you spend them all in London!! As other posters have said there are lots of great day trips from London - Windsor, Hampton Court, etc. Christmas day of course attractions are closed but it's a great time to simply walk part of the city and look at the architecture - we walked to Hyde Park and down Oxford street - great to see it all without the crowds! For lodging you might consider renting a studio apt. - since there were 4 of us we rented a apt and it worked great - cut down on eating out expenses since we could make our own breakfast and we ate in several nights - the ready prepared meals from Marks and Spencer were quite tasty!

Posted by
1829 posts

You might want to look at London School of Economics' accom, they do the whole range from Dorm rooms through to studios and apartments at reasonable cost. Some of it is very centrally located eg just off Trafalgar Square or in Covent Garden.

http://www.lsetopfloor.co.uk/default.htm

This site lists other University/College vacaction lettings in London as well as the rest of the country.

http://www.universityrooms.co.uk/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Posted by
56 posts

We just returned from a weekend in London (we've been there other times as well). This trip there were more people in London than we've experienced in the past. Based on comments from hotel and restaurant workers we understand the difference is due in part to visiting during the Christmas season. There were longer waits at restaurants and the congestion in the Underground was terrible. To make matters worse, several lines were closed the weekend we were there. Be prepared to spend more time getting from place to place in London when you go, and if possible familiarize yourself with the bus system. The buses saved us several times. But, London is pretty at Christmas, so enjoy yourself but be patient!

Posted by
1829 posts

London will be crowded leading up to Christmas because people travel in for the shopping. There are often Tube line closures at weekends for regular maintenance work, Mon to Fridays should be ok unless emergency work is required.

This site gives details of planned closures and alternative travel suggestions.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Don't forget to go to Trafalgar Square for the nightly carol singing around the Christmas tree, the tree is an annual gift fom the people of Norway. Different choirs from around the country take turns in leading the singing. Also ice skating at Somerset House on the Strand and other venues around the city.