Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Ireland

My family and I have planned a trip to Ireland for Christmas. We are flying into Cork and staying two nights at a B&B. We then are driving to Killarney for one week stay at a timeshare. My problem is that we arrive on Christmas day in Killarney and I cannot find a restaurant that is open for dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions? I contacted the timeshare and they said that maybe they could buy us groceries and have them in our unit when we get there. We then are driving to Dublin for a week stay in a apartment that we rented through trip advisor. We then drive back to Cork for one night and fly out the next day. We are also doing a one night stay in Dingle when we are in the Killarney area. We are looking forward to our first visit to Ireland. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted by
333 posts

Ireland pretty much closes down over the Christmas holidays. You may be able to find a restaurant open in one of the hotels but it will be tough. Probably better to buy some food in Cork just in case.

You are going to have to plan your driving routes carefully and hope you don't get weather like last Christmas. Stick to the main roads, try to drive during the mid-day to early afternoon. It will be dark by 4pm.

On the plus side, the towns all have great displays and lights and you probably won't encounter many other tourists

Posted by
80 posts

You will have a problem with dinner out anywhere on Christmas day. After that, you will be fine..everything is open...food wise.