Please sign in to post.

Christmas in England

Our daughter is spending the year studying abroad in Florence, Italy & we have plans to visit her over Christmas break. (Departing the US Dec. 22 & staying in Europe until Jan. 4 - roughly 13 days in Europe) We were thinking of flying into London, spending Christmas there, maybe head up to Stonehenge & into Scotland for a few days, then down to Paris for New Year's Eve & ending possibly in Italy to drop the daughter off at school. Our daughter would love to spend at least 1 night in a castle but not sure that's in the budget!?! We love the outdoors & are adventurous when it comes to activities as well as food. Of course we'd love to take in many sites, but are also looking for some down time just to be together as a family. Suggestions for itineraries that include accommodation recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted by
9126 posts

Good that you like the outdoors and seek some down time. That is exactly what you'll find during Christmas in London. Arriving on the 22nd will be fine, public transport will be plentiful but on Christmas day be aware there is NO public transport! It will also be spotty the next day, Boxing day. The UK sees these holidays as just that holidays for everyone. So get out and walk on both days. Lovely way to see London. Simply not a good time to try to see Stonehenge or Scotland though. Plan in advance and buy tickets on the Eurostar to Paris. Leave on the 27th and spend those next days exploring Paris. As far as accommodations, hard to suggest without knowing your budget.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the good advice. As far as budget, since our daughter's in college & we've got tuition as well as her study abroad fees, we're trying to do Christmas in Europe on a fairly tight budget. That being said, we'd like to enjoy some nice meals, perhaps have one of our location stays be a little nicer but save a bit on the others...thoughts?

Posted by
10560 posts

An apartment can save you money, both with lodging and meals. You might want to prepare to do your own meals on those days that things are shut down. Many hotels and apartments consider the holiday season to be high season and price their units accordingly. A few years ago we rented an apartment in Paris for 10 nights, arriving a few days after Christmas. It was cold (for me anyway!), but beautiful. I think Paris might be a little less expensive than London. It is not too early to find a place, since that is a popular time to travel and the good budget places book up fast. If you are on a super tight budget you might consider staying somewhere less pricey.

Posted by
9110 posts

I think Alan's got it right, but I have to add that one time I was whizzing past Stonehenge after it had snowed and slammed on the brakes on whatever that road is on the south side. A little snow on the lintels and all over the ground made it look completely different than the normal sheep pasture. If I were nearby and knew it had snowed on the plain, I'd go out there again somehow. On the other hand, I've driven the slip-n-slide from Snowdonia to somewhere between Cheltenham and Swindon headed to Dover for the ferry and it was pure misery. This might have been a freak year, it was mid-November and when we left Dunkerque the next moring we were back in the mess until we hit the Paris basin where we got a bit of slack, and were then right back into it tl somewhere a bit south of Limoges.

Posted by
1416 posts

Kristin I'd second Claudia's advice about forgetting Scotland and Stonehenge on this trip. Two of the last three Christmas's have been extremely cold with heavy snowfall and travel around the country has been difficult if not impossible. If the weather allows you might consider a day trip down here to Brighton. We are only 50 minutes by train from Victoria, have the Royal Pavilion, one of the oddest palaces in the country http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/RoyalPavilion/aboutthepalace/Pages/home.aspx and you can take a bracing walk along the seafront and on the pier. If you are really hardy you might like to bring your costume and swim in Hampstead Pond on Christmas day! http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2011/dec/heath-ponds-christmas-day-swim-come-water-warmer Have a great time. Alan

Posted by
3428 posts

If you want to experience a BIG New Years celebration- consider Edinburgh. The Scots do it up BIG TIME. It is called Hogmany and events go on for 3 or 4 days. There is a torch walk/parade that everyone can participate in, a big 'normal' parade, multiple fireworks displays, a street party, concerts- street and formal, formal balls, etc. It has been on my bucket list for years- and hubby and I are crossing our fingers that we will be there this year. But you'll want to make hotel/apartment reservations soon if you decide to do this.

Posted by
9126 posts

2nd the idea of apartments for this sojourn. Will save on food costs as you can prepare some meals. You'll all be together and able to enjoy one another's company. Check airbnb, VRBO ParisBestLodge and Vacation in Paris for rentals. Though public transport will be nil for a couple of days in London still make certain the apartment is located in either zones 1 & 2 as noted by the London Underground map. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf
By doing so you'll save transport costs once the tube is back online and be closer to the major sites. For fun on Xmas morning you can walk over to the Serpentine in Hyde Park and watch the traditional Peter Pan cup race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34yCXFhEXSE Silly traditional fun no matter what the weather!!! If you choose not to cook, don't worry about not being able to find a meal on Xmas day Diverse as London is the holiday is just another day too many. I've had wonderful Thai, Indonesian, Turkish and a pub meals (complete with hats and poppers...another English tradition) on Christmas days spent in London Town. The pub was the Black Lion on Bayswater Rd. When you arrive in at Heathrow grab a copy of Timeout or have your daughter buy it and peruse it before your arrival. Great resource for finding out what's on, what's closed, etc. If possible try to see a panto and attend Xmas Eve midnight mass somewhere!! Did it at St. Paul's one year. Memorable!!! Of course you could fly into Rome, train to Florence, stay there for Xmas, then travel to Paris and onto London or simply fly back from Paris. Lots of options for you to consider.

Posted by
970 posts

Given the extreme weather recently, it's anyone's guess what you will see. But, typically, it's cold and often windy. Hours of sun won't be any greater than Minnesota that time of year. It'll be quite dark at 5pm or so. As mentioned, everything shuts down on Christmas. The smaller the town, the more likely nothing as in, Nothing will be open. That might push me to be in London. Double check restaurants, etc. If they're open they just might be booked with holiday diners. Stonehenge merits being a quick visit if you are already in the area (e.g., Salisbury). It really isn't worth making a special visit, especially from London.