Please sign in to post.

Ceremony of Keys

Just wondering if they let you know either way about being a lucky one to attend the Ceremony of Keys. I sent in my request and everything just over two weeks ago for Sept and haven't heard anything. Do they let you know if your NOT one of lucky ones?

Thanks
Bev

Posted by
104 posts

Hi Bev,

It took about a month or maybe even 5 weeks for me to get my tickets (they are for May). I sent for them in January. Did you send your request with the required International Return Coupon or what ever that thing is called?

Posted by
59 posts

Hi Lisa...Thanks for the info. Yes I sent the request with the reply coupons. :)

Posted by
2775 posts

Bev, I hope you gave them two dates in case the first date is filled. Also, make sure you get there early..around 9:15pm..they let people in at 9:30pm which isn't that many so as soon as everyone is in they close the gate. We have been there when people of showed up right when the gate was closed and they wasn't permitted in, so to avoided being disappointed I would make sure you get there early. You should be getting you ticket in another few weeks.

Posted by
59 posts

Robin..Thank you. I gave them three dates, so hopefully one will work. Thanks for the info. I am always early to places even when I try to be late. LOL

Posted by
571 posts

We received our coupon to attend the Ceremony of the Keys about three weeks after we mailed it. I bet you'll hear soon. BTW, I agree with previous posters that you should arrive early because of the entry requirements, but be forewarned that there isn't much open in the immediate vicinity. So grab a bite to eat prior to arriving.

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks Matt..Hopefully I will hear soon. Just be part of something that has happend every nigth for the last 700 years. So exciting. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again
Bev

Posted by
1265 posts

Bev - I received my passes about 5 weeks after mailing. Also like the others said arrive early. If I remember correctly there are several pubs in easy walking distance from the Tower, check FancyaPint

There is also a little hamburger joint about a 5 minute walk.

Posted by
1819 posts

When you got your tickets, did they come in a regular business type envelope or in a larger package? I am asking because I have access to British stamps, but am trying to get an idea of how many of them I need to send with my request. Thank you.

Posted by
571 posts

Since they ask you to supply the self-addressed envelope, it comes in the envelope you provide. I sent a standard business letter (#10) envelope and the ticket fit in there just fine. I don't know anything about adhering your own British stamps, however. I simply provided a voucher for sufficient air mail postage plus an extra voucher, just in case. Yes, I probably spent a couple extra dollars, but I had the assurance that my request wouldn't be denied for lack of postage!

Posted by
46 posts

Be sure to use the bathroom facilities before you go also. The Starbucks is open nearby but it left a lot to be desired.

Posted by
3 posts

I received my tickets for the June 23rd Ceremony of the Keys about 1 week ago. I had sent in my request 3-4 weeks before that. The hard part was getting the international response coupons from my post office. I kept getting conflicting information about them.

Posted by
59 posts

Thank you for all the responses. It will be 3 wks next week so I am hopefull:) I will let you all know.

Thanks again
Bev

Posted by
59 posts

Thank you for all the responses. It will be 3 wks next week so I am hopefull:) I will let you all know.

Thanks again
Bev

Posted by
214 posts

Be sure that when you are inside and they place you for the Ceremony in front of Traitors Gate that you are standing with a view through the archway and up the stairs. This way you will be able to see right, left and center. I have attended about 13 times and still enjoy it.

Posted by
2349 posts

Don't be late. They say they won't let you in and they mean it. They've had 1000 years practice of keeping people out of the castle. Yep, we missed it.

Posted by
25 posts

It seems like it's been a handful of days since you posted. Hope you got your tix. I actually called the office directly to inquire about the turnaround time for tix and the man who answered the telephone was very nice and said my tickets were mailed out 'yesterday'. They arrived a week later. Total it was about 4 weeks turnaround. ((I used just ONE International Reply Coupon [by mistake~I re-read the instructions which said TWO and was worried they wouldn't process my request!] and a standard business envelope)).

Posted by
59 posts

Dr Toonz

Thanks for asking but I did just get mine in the mail on Monday after just 4 wks of worrying. But I am soooo excited. We go in Sept when are you going?

Posted by
253 posts

That Ceremony of the Keys was the biggest, boring waste of time I have ever spent in 14 trips to Europe. Time better spent would be watching the grass grow at Buckingham Palace (or going to Crawdaddy's in Jensen Beach for cajun food). That's why it is free. If they charged even one Pound the refund line would stretch all the way to the Tower of London. Take a walking tour that night instead. It was the worst.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by
2775 posts

Brian, I don't think they would have a refund line, you are the only person I have ever heard say that it was boring and a waste of time. Guess you don't enjoy seeing history that has taken place over 700 years. It's very interesting to how things are done....especially since they have done this the same way for over 700 years and never missed a night. The guard who leads you down to where you stand talks to you as you are walking and tells you some history regarding the Tower of London. The first time my daughters went, the guard held Jennifer's hand all the way and told her a lot of things, then on our next trip three years later that same guard Mr. Jackson saw that we were coming and was there to talk to us, eight years later we were there and Mr. Jackson was the quard who received the Queen's keys, then after the ceremony was over he came out and asked for the Z..... family to stay behind. We were there for over 1/2 hour talking to him and him telling us a lot of info....so interesting..being the only ones there in the Tower that late at night. Mr. Jackson was fantastic and has now retired living in Cornwall.

Posted by
253 posts

Sorry, but there are so many great things to do in London that it is a shame to waste a couple of hours watching that drivel. The lucky ones will not get tickets. I am not alone. I met others there as we were leaving who thought it was lame as well. If it was anything of value they would charge for it. In my humble opinion a total waste of valuable time in an awesome city. But everybody uses their time as they see fit. Take the Jack the Ripper walking tour instead. A lot of fun.

Posted by
1819 posts

Since we are serious Anglophiles , we would probably enjoy this ceremony and intend to include it on our next visit to London. However, if Brian disliked it, that is his opinion and is also a perfectly valid statement. But maybe you could both provide the reasons why you did / did not enjoy it? That way, others could better gauge whether or not they would like to include it?

Posted by
253 posts

Good idea Cynthia. Basically you stand around for at least a half hour outside until they let you in. Then you stand around outside a gate while a bunch of costumed guards march down a cobbled path while the leader barks "who comes there"? Someone answers "we have the keys"! Then they walk into the fortress, yell something like "God bless the Queen" and it is over. No history lesson or exhibits at all. Somebody said they went 13 times. Whew! Get a life. Rather watch paint dry. It's like going to Disney World and watching them lock the front gate at closing. "God bless Mickey Mouse"!
I am just warning anyone to REALLY lower their expectations or better yet try to trade those tickets for a scone or a ride on the Underground. I warned ya.