Please sign in to post.

Cell phone in Ireland

Hi All, Anyone know if a Blackberry Curve will work in Ireland? It is unlocked and my idea was to purchase a local, prepaid sim card when I get there. We do this traveling in the States (we're Canadian) and find it a much less expensive option that buying a roaming plan.
Thanks in advance.

Posted by
45 posts

Thanks Nancy, it is a GSM device.

Posted by
1152 posts

Some Curves have the correct frequencies. Some, apparently, do not. What carrier do you use? Not sure about Canadian carriers, but in the U.S. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA and generally don't work. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM and should work. But I think some Blackberry phones have dual technology and work with CDMA and GSM.

Posted by
45 posts

I use Fido, which is part of the Rogers family. Guess I need to call them and find out. Thanks

Posted by
45 posts

Seems Blackberry has a dizzying aray of phones and some do and some don't work. I have a 9300 and for anyone is travelling with this phone, yes it will work all over the world. The smart money pays the $12 to get it unlocked so that a sim card from whatever country can be used. Roaming costs are crazy expensive. Thanks for the help folks.
Rob, Toronto

Posted by
32332 posts

Rob, I'm not too familiar with the Blackberry line of products, but you'll need to check on which frequency bands your phone is equipped with. If it has the 900 / 1800 MHz frequencies, then your phone will work in Europe. The spec's should be in the Manual somewhere. Just because it's a "GSM Phone" is NO guarantee that it will work in Europe! I've encountered tourists in Europe, who had a puzzled look and couldn't understand why their shiny new GSM Phones wouldn't work in Europe. After all, the Rep's at XXX Cellular company told them that it would absolutely work in Europe as it was a GSM Phone. Upon closer examination of the phones they were using, I discovered these were only equipped with the two North American frequencies. Be sure to check that the Charger is designed for operation on 220 VAC. You will of course need a Plug Adapter (the UK style has large rectangular pins). Will you be using the data capability of the Blackberry, as well as voice? Happy travels!

Posted by
9369 posts

If it's a GSM phone it will work. If it's not, it won't. Check with your regular carrier to find out what type of technology it is.

Posted by
1152 posts

Rob, Fido and Rogers both apparently use GSM technology.

Posted by
9369 posts

Paul, Rob said in his first response that his is a GSM phone, so I'm sure he knows the network is GSM, too.

Posted by
1152 posts

Nancy, I guess I was responding to his post where he said he'd have to call Fido to see if it was GSM, too.

Posted by
32332 posts

"For the record", Rogers & Fido both use GSM technology. They're actually the same network, as Rogers purchased Fido several years ago, but continues to operate it as a separate entity. Cheers!