Please sign in to post.

cell phone

My daughter is staying in London to study for a month. Her cell phone is not international. I've heard the best option is to purchase a phone when she gets to London. Any suggestions?

Posted by
32332 posts

Carol, She shouldn't have any trouble finding a Cell shop when she arrives in London, as they're all over. She could also try CarPhone Warehouse if there's one nearby. The Tesco supermarket chain also sells mobiles. When is your daughter leaving on the trip? She might find it helpful to check some of the U.K. networks to get some idea on the costs of phones and what plans are offered. There are four main networks (O2, Vodaphone, 3, and Orange / T-Mobile). There are also a HUGE number of "Virtual Network Operators". Those are firms that don't actually own or operate a network, but simply buy time on an established network. Examples of those would be Virgin, Tesco or TalkMobile. Another option would be to purchase a phone from one of the "travel phone" firms, as they often use a U.K.-based number. The advantage of that is that she would have a working phone as soon as she steps off the plane and wouldn't have to bother looking for one. If she communicates with you primarily by text message, the cost shouldn't be appreciably higher than buying a phone there. These often use post-paid billing, with calls charged to a credit card. Cheers!

Posted by
12313 posts

I bought a phone for 25 Euro in Spain this trip (included ten Euro credit for calls). I had at least two options for phones and providers at the 25 Euro price. She should have no problem finding similar deals. For a month in one country, I think it's best to get a British Sim card - it will give her the best rates on in country calls. For calls home. I liked using Skype on my Ipod.

Posted by
1152 posts

Being in London for a month, it probably makes sense to get a local pay-as-you-go phone. She can do so for 20 or 30 pounds. If she had a phone already that worked internationally then some of the other options might make sense but if she's going to have to buy a phone anyway, getting one when she arrives seems sensible.