Please sign in to post.

Castles in Ireland

What are the best castles to see in and around Dublin, Dingle, Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher areas? We like the ruins, but prefer the "working" castles? Thanks!
Nancy Frank

Posted by
635 posts

I liked Trim Castle. It's a legitimate ruin but was still used in filming Braveheart. The OPW card gets you in "free" after buy the card. We went on a great tour. The people that work there love the place and seem to enjoy tourists. Dublin Castle is the seat of the ROI. The tour is worth doing but isn't that great. It's covered by the OPW card. Kilenny Castle is rebuilt to its Victorian splendor. It's interesting and worth the visit. I'm not sure but I think it's covered by the OPW card. There is a castle near Dingle (Menard?) that is in Rick's book. It's hard to find and it's definitely a ruin. There is a sign saying not to enter and I didn't. The price of admission is closing the gate after you so the sheep don't get out. There are great views from the site of the Kerry Peninsula and the seacoast. I liked it. In retrospect I wish I had gone into the ground floor and looked around.

Posted by
409 posts

Our favorite castles during our stays in Ireland have been Ross Castle, near Killarney, and Cahir Castle, which we stumbled upon but really enjoyed. Ross is in a beautiful setting on a lake, while Cahir is somewhat crumbling just enough to retain its authenticity. We took a wonderful guided tour there.....