Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Insurance

We would like to drive a rental car while we're visiting on the Isle of Skye in September. Not all places have comprehensive car insurance. Will we need to get another insurance plan to supplement the car hire plans?

Posted by
7049 posts

Check what your credit cards cover first

Posted by
931 posts

Ditto Agnes. VISA and AMX do a great job in many countries. We just back for Ireland, and the credit cards would NOT cover the "Excess" (collision and theft deductible). The rental agencies wanted over $16 EU/day to cover this with "Super CDW (collision damage waiver. So we opted for much cheaper secondary insurance that we found thru a UK broker "Moneymaxim.co.uk". And our secondary insurance covered things that the supposedly "all inclusive super CDW" would not cover; like windshields, tires, wheels, putting in the wrong fuel, towing, etc.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, I will follow up by looking at that site.

Posted by
970 posts

Be sure to ask the individual rental shop where you get the car what they require: I used VISA coverage when I rented a car last year in Inverness. I was required to provide written confirmation from VISA of the coverage they provided. Good thing I asked about a month before I traveled.

Posted by
635 posts

The VISA credit card insurance I have available does not cover liability. You may want to check to see what you have available.