Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Ireland

Hi Everyone, We are planning our first trip to Ireland for my 60th this August. We plan on renting and driving. Plan on flying into either Shannon or Dublin, and out of the one we don't fly into. Never driven on the left before so I wanted to ask if the roads around Dublin are a place to be avoided when learning that skill. Would we be better to fly to Shannon and do the western part of our trip first? My instincts tell me to fly to Shannon, but the flight days from Toronto are quite restricted as compaired to flights to Dublin. Lastly, any recomemded car rental companies. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rob

Posted by
9363 posts

Yes, you would definitely be better off flying into Shannon instead of Dublin. Shannon airport is very small and out in the country - lots of opportunity to practice lefthand driving before encountering any traffic at all. Dublin airport, on the other hand, is on a busy urban street crammed with traffic - not the place to be learning. I flew into Dublin on my second trip there and wouldn't choose to do it again if I were going to rent a car. You won't want a car in Dublin, anyway. Land in Shannon, drop your car at Dublin airport before your visit there, and take public transport into the city. The best car rental company is the one who gives you the best deal. When I have been shopping, it's been Irish Car Rentals. Others have had other experiences. You can book with someone now, then keep watching the prices to see if something better pops up. Most companies don't charge for changing/canceling a reservation.

Posted by
2369 posts

Yes, Shannon over Dublin for arrival. We have used Dan Dooley and found them great to work with. It may cost extra but you must get an automatic car. It is too hard driving on left then trying to shift with left hand when you are not used to it.

Posted by
13 posts

Thats a nice birthday! I love Ireland and driving is the best way to see it. The cliffs are awesome. I used Sixt because at the time they gave me the best deal, but I did pick the car up and leave it at Dublin airport. You will be picking it up in one location and leaving in another.