Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Ireland

I know there have been several postings re car rentals but has anyone dealt with Rent-A-Car Ireland. I have a quote from them which is far less than anyone else. Their contract appears to be the same as others I have checked. They do take a long time in responding to emails. Took 10 days to return with a quote. I sent a reply on Oct 1st to see why so cheap and haven't heard yet.

Posted by
7 posts

Oooops! This should, of course, be CAR rental.

Posted by
524 posts

Actually, when you hear the Irish say it, you might think it's CARE.

Posted by
10344 posts

Maggie: I've done a search of the forum archives and found no prior review/posting regarding Rent-A-Car Ireland.

Their way low price and them taking a long time responding to e-mails gets my attention, just as it got yours. But I have no personal experience with them (and apparently no one else here does either)--might be a great deal, or too good to be true, I don't know which.

I can add that some travelers have reported here that they "dinged up" rental cars in Ireland, which brought up (for them) the issue of whether they have CDW coverage (collision damage waiver insuring them against the cost of repairs if the car is damaged). Ireland has a higher accident record than some European countries, or at least I'm guessing that's why credit card companies often exclude Ireland (and Italy) from their CDW coverage and why other insurance companies either exclude or charge more for CDW coverage for driving in Ireland.

I guess there are some things about driving in Ireland that cause North American tourists to have a greater chance of damaging/dinging/scraping rental cars in Ireland: driving on the wrong side, narrow roads, etc.

What I'm getting at is: We've had a significant number of people reporting on this forum that they were glad they had good customer support from their rental car company, or some who regretted that they didn't because of choices they'd made such as going with CDW. It's a significant cost but Ireland is a place where some have been happy they paid the extra for the CDW offered by the rental company.

And other travelers have lucked out and gotten by without testing their rental company's customer support or their lack of CDW coverage.