Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Ireland

We are confused about renting a car in Ireland for May. We are 4 adults and will have 4 bags; we want to pick up the car in Dublin center and return in Shannon. We are looking on a site called Argus Car Hire that seems to represent several companies. However, as we have gotten close to booking, it seems it is a voucher and that many cars are no longer available. We would appreciate any advice about renting a car; using these companies or dealing directly with a rental company; best value. Should we be worried that they will be 'out' of suitable budget cars already?

Posted by
9369 posts

I have used Dan Dooley once (because it was part of a package deal with vouchers) and Irish Car Rentals three times. I have never had a problem getting the car I reserved. I would suggest booking directly with a company (Irish Car Rentals has a US tollfree number if you have questions, too).

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks for your advice. I am looking at Irish Car Rentals and Dan-Dooley. However, I am confused about the insurance, which almost doubles the price of the rental. Do you buy your insurance from the rental car company? It seems that you need the 'peace of mind' policy to have full coverage. Have you used the insurance offered by MasterCard? Have you bought insurance from a third party? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Posted by
9369 posts

Mastercard insurance WILL NOT cover you in Ireland. And yes, I usually buy the "super CDW" insurance, even though it's expensive. You could also buy such insurance from a third party company, but in the event of a problem, you would have to pay the damages up front, then wait to be reimbursed by the third party company. Still, it's an option.

Posted by
186 posts

We went with Auto Europe for pick up in Dublin/return to Shannon for May. Check them out. We, too, added their
insurance. Good wishes!

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks to all for advice. We rented from Budget in Ireland, because they responded most thoroughly and quickly when asking for itemization of all the charges, etc. I'm pretty excited about being able to tour by car. And, when you look at the costs and limitations of public transportation, I guess the price is reasonable. We did take full insurance and got the GPS.

Posted by
51 posts

I'm confused by Nancy's post that MC CDW "insurance" will not cover you in Ireland. I called my MC provider (BoA) and they said it was covered anywhere. Shoudl I call them back and ask the same question a different way?

Posted by
19 posts

Budget told us that MC does not cover in Ireland. I would read the MasterCard policy for yourself and also see what your car rental company says. We went with the insurance from the dealer because it seems it should be easier to make a claim and just eliminates some of the uncertainties about deductibles, etc. It almost doubles the rental cost, but seems to be a reasonable enough vacation cost when you look at everything you have invested in the vacation: time and money.