Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Ireland

We would like to rent cars in Ireland but wanted to know can they picked up and dropped off in small towns? We were thinking of using rail or bus travel to save time and then use car rental to do day trips. Cities we are thinking of are possibly Kilkenny, Kinsale, Galway, Donegal or Derry.
Thanks

Posted by
1358 posts

Some auto rental agencies service small towns. The best way to be sure is to get the agency toll free phone number and ask an agent your questions.

When you do, be sure to ask if there is a drop charge when you leave it another town. And how much. Taking the car at an airport always ads an additional fee; so avoid doing that if possible by taking it at a remote office. At least ask the agent what the airport fee is.

In the past I have found the weekly rate to be useful; so I take the car in a town, drive it all week and return it to the same office. Also I find it more convenient to be able to handle luggage easily in a car.

Posted by
8700 posts

Train service in Ireland is limited to major routes. Buses cover more areas, but schedules may not be convenient for you. Having a car may actually save you time over taking a train or bus. If you plan your itinerary so you start in a major city (like Dublin), using public transportation there, and then pick up a car when you're ready to see towns and the countryside. renting one car for your whole trip could work well. Driving in the towns you've listed shouldn't be a major challenge.

Posted by
9363 posts

Renting a car for one day here and there is liable to be more costly than just renting one for the whole week. Using public transport will not be a timesaver, since you have to depend on their schedules, not your own. I'd recommend just renting a car for your trip. I've picked up cars in Dublin and dropped off in Shannon (and the other way around) with no additional cost. And for the towns you are considering, flying into and out of Shannon is very easy. And since it's out in the country, you have time to adjust to the driving before encountering any traffic.

Posted by
199 posts

Kathy, I agree with the other posters. I would just rent a car for the whole trip. Driving in Ireland is fun and easy. In checking rates, you might try Alamo as well as the other old standbys. We are paying Alamo less than 20 Euro per day for our 8-day trip, even though we are picking the car up in Belfast and dropping at Shannon.