Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Ireland

We are planning a driving holiday to Ireland for 2 weeks in September. Strangely perhaps, the most stressful thing for me seems to be which car rental company to use. I have been reading some horror stories about some companies, and am wondering if anyone can point me too or away from any particular rental companies. One that sounds promissing to me is Dan Dooley. We are picking it up in Shannon and leaving it in Dublin, probably at the airport in both cases. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted by
2433 posts

Used Dan Dooley several times and found them very easy to work with, great cars and service

Posted by
8700 posts

Five years ago I booked a rental through Auto Europe, a consolidator that finds you the best price from among the rental agencies with which it has contracts. My car was provided by Budget and I was well pleased with the service. AE is based in the US and you'll find a toll-free number on their website. I also used AE to book a car in France and it was provided by Europcar. Again, I was well pleased with the service.

Posted by
635 posts

They are all pretty much the same. Dan Dooley is as good as any from what I've heard but they have never been the cheapest. I've found various minor rate differences and not always with the same people. Shop around. Be sure to price everything with the full damage waiver cost included. I recommend buying this full coverage because most credit cards do not cover rentals in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. This will avoid the sudden surprise at the rental counter or when you return the car. None of the insurance options cover tires (tyres) and from my limited experience they check your spare when you return the car.

Posted by
124 posts

We used Hertz. It was thru Journey Through Ireland, who have a long time franchise agreement with Hertz. The quote was said to be "all-inclusive" and it really was. The car was everything they promised it would be. Dooley is the only other one I'm aware of that offers an all inclusive price. We rented the car this past April, and no surprises on the credit card, no hassles at the desk or upon return. Prepaid and saved 10%, used my Visa and had no foreign transactions fees. The web sight is: www.irelandtouring.com
Dan