Please sign in to post.

car rental

Anyone used Sixt car rental? I have used Avis in UK, but the rental price seems to be running much less for other companies. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
931 posts

Sixt is usually a great option. Where are you renting? You can also check prices using Kayak.com, etc. We usually use Autoeurope.com for most of our rentals in the EU. They are a broker based here in the US that represents all of the majors. We like the fact that we can pop on their web site and research pick-up and drop off locations, auto rental options, prices, etc. And we can call them in Maine if we have any questions.

Posted by
11 posts

Thinking of picking up in London, but may take train to Bath and pick up there. We have to BE CERTAIN that we will get the exact car we reserve, as we have 6 in the group, 2 of whom are seniors, and my son-2 year old, who will have to have a carseat. I want the fewest hassles possible, as it is going to be a circus atmosphere already! Car must be right size, and accommodate baby seat. Cannot risk the rental agency downsizing it for any reason. Also we will be dropping car at a different location.

Posted by
11 posts

Definitely limiting luggage! 1 carry on apiece is our rule, and baby bag! So you think renting in Bath would be better than on outskirts of London? And I understand that the rental companies won't give the exact car. Been there, done that. However, I did find one, I believe it may have been Hertz, that did give the option of securing a particular car. I don't necessarily trust it, but did see that option. Thanks for all the help!

Posted by
931 posts

Kristi, you understand that all the rental agencies will give you the car that they post on their web site, "or similar". I don't think that any will guarantee the EXACT car. A van will be your best option. Pick it up in a smaller town, and with the size of your group, it will be a good idea to limit your luggage.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for that advice! I believe I will do exactly that.

Posted by
518 posts

Hi Kristi, Have you tried calling Autoeurope and explaining your exact needs? They are usually very helpful. I would think you would have the best results by booking a van. The reason I say that is the only times I have received exactly what I reserved is when I've booked a specialty vehicle -- twice for a convertible and once for a Jeep. Have a great trip.
SIXT is a good company -- no better or worse than any other. I've used them through Autoeurope.

Posted by
177 posts

Kristi, What I would do is call or email Andy at gemut.com. He has helped me sort out cars and pick up and drop places and times in the past. Also help with additional drivers fees etc.
Have a Happy Easter in the Burg from Meridian