Please sign in to post.

car rental

Planning a trip to UK for late spring. Traveling with my husband, 22 year old stepson, 2 year old toddler, and 70 year old mother and father. I understand that with 6 people it would be better to rent 2 cars instead of 1; however, that is not an option as our reason for going is to drive my parents so they won't have to drive themselves. Last trip my husband and I used Travelocity, and they got our car from Avis. It was great, and everything went smoothly. I am now concerned that we will have to get 2 cars no matter what--any advice? We will pack light, but need some essentials for the baby. Thanks!

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks! Really want to fit us into 1 vehicle. Even with one bag apiece it will be jam packed. I will try to reserve one of those models.

Posted by
12172 posts

We leased a Renault Grand Scenic II 7 passenger car for five of us. The car sits 2-3-2, with the three in the middle more suited to two medium sized people and the two in the back having to mostly climb in (more suited to children). For five of us self, spouse, boys 15 and 11, plus girl 7 and one carry-on each, it was perfect. If we were bigger or carrying more luggage, it wouldn't have been a good fit. In your case, you may get by with the toddler in the middle of the middle (3) row and the 22 year old somewhat crammed in behind - leaving some room for luggage in the back. The back isn't deep though so anything more than one layer will begin to block your windows. Don't assume you can make the luggage fit as long as the people fit. European cars are smaller, the space can be used for people or luggage but not both (unless it's on a lap). If it were me, I'd try for the van. Something that advertises nine passengers is about right (and I don't think requires a commercial driver's license).

Posted by
3696 posts

I have driven an 8 passenger van in Europe...2, 3, 3 and it had a small area in the back for luggage. We did manage to fit quite a bit in there as some people overpacked :) It was a stick, but not a problem for me, but I don't think I would want to try a manual in UK unless I was used to it. Whenever I rent there I get an automatic as I am not sure I can manage the opposite side of the car, the opposite side of the road and the stick shift and clutch...just too much for my brain, but lots of people do it just fine... I just don't want to deal with it. I would definitely get the bigger vehicles as it will make it so much more pleasant.

Posted by
11 posts

Such good advice, y'all! I found a VW Sharan through Avis, which has 7 seats. Thinking this would work, as there are only 6 of us. Extra seat can be used as storage. My husband and I have both driven manual transmissions in England, but we wouldn't feel comfortable driving a huge 10 person van on those narrow roads. Anyone actually seen one of these Sharans?

Posted by
9363 posts

Kristi, remember that the seventh "seat" is actually just the space between two people in the back row. Storage there won't be very practical or comfortable (or safe).

Posted by
12172 posts

It looks like the Sharan is a 2-3-2, seven passenger configuration. The vehicle looks taller, with deeper storage than the Scenic we leased. You can probably get some bags behind the back seat. Expect the back seat to be closer to the back window rather than a big storage area back there. The photos show some space, but the seats may slide and space may be dependent on unacceptable leg room in the back. Is everyone committed to packing light? If so, get soft-sided carry-ons - ideally with a shoulder strap rather than wheels - they tend to stuff better than rigid bags. It sounds silly to say, but don't be surprised if you're surprised how small the car is when you get there.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you! We are fully committed to packing light--each time I travel, the "stuff" is pared down even more, especially when you have your stuff plus the baby's stuff! I think we can make it work, and you are dead on about the car seeming even smaller than the diagrams show. With the back "luggage area" and one free seat space, it'll probably be tight, but manageable. Again, I appreciate the help! This website is an amzing resource!