Please sign in to post.

car rental

What do you think of renting a car in Windsor and driving to Stonehenge?

Posted by
1446 posts

I've never rented a car in Windsor, but I will have to say that we've rented cars many times at Heathrow (and driven to Stonehenge a couple of times). It's very easy to get out of the Heathrow airport.

Posted by
10344 posts

Same as Sharon, Heathrow is closer to the A30 than Windsor, this is the road you'll probably want to take to go southwest to Stonehenge. Given the relative ease of renting at the airport and departing to the southwest towards Stonehenge, it's not apparent what would be the advantage of trying to find a car rental location in Windsor.

Posted by
7 posts

We also wanted to see Windsor so is it easy to drive to Windsor and then return the car at Heathrow?
Thanks for your help.

Posted by
25 posts

Consider that most rental companies charge about 19%of your total bill for pick-up at an airport or trainstation (Drop-off is free). You could save by pick-up in town if you are to keep the car any length of time.

Posted by
2776 posts

Most of the car rental agencies like Europcar, Thirty, 1 Car 1, National, etc., are not in Windsor they are located at Heathrow and Slough. Slough is a five to eight minute drive from Windsor, Heathrow is a fifteen minute drive. If you want to see Windsor take a taxi into Windsor stay the night then pick up a car either in Slough or at Heathrow. I have only seen one car rental agency in Windsor which is Practical Car and Van Rental and I have no knowledge of their prices etc. But like the above posts Heathrow or Slough would be the best places to get a rental.

Posted by
1358 posts

I agree with those who suggest NOT taking your car at the airport. The extra taxes are to be avoided. All over the world I always pick up my car at my hotel or another off-airport location. I find public trans. from the airport--never a taxi.

You have to ask about other locations, because the agencies will not advise you of them. Ask for a rate quote for each location; you will usually find a big difference.