Please sign in to post.

Canterbury

We are planning a trip out to Canterbury and Dover. Taking the train from London. Should we plan a day in Canterbury and spend the night there and then take the train to Dover or try to do it all in one day? Advice? Hotel suggestions in Canterbury?

Posted by
120 posts

Well apart from the castle in Dover there not that much to see. Canterbury again is small and most of the main sights are close to each other. The Cathedral obviously is well worth seeing and a wander through the main street to St Augustine's abbey would probably take a couple of three hours. Dover is about 30 minutes by train from Canterbury West station and it is a long walk from Dover Priory station to the castle and up hill. The only time I visited the Castle I remember taking a bus or taxi from the station. You may like to go to the western heights across the harbour from the castle, again I don't know about the public transport availability. If you want to stay in Canterbury the Abode is in the pedestrianised main street, I have no idea of cost

Posted by
1446 posts

We had a rental car, so drove to Canterbury and checked into a hotel. I can't remember the name of the hotel - it was a block off the main street, but I don't think I would recommend it anyway. My husband and I are not fast travelers - we like to stroll slowly, look at everything and soak in the atmosphere. We spent a lot of time in the cathedral, St. Augustines, and other parts of Canterbury. Spent the entire day there and had no time to spare. Then the next morning we drove to Dover to see the castle, took the tour of the tunnels, had lunch - spent about 4 hours there before leaving. I'm sure you could do it faster if you choose to.

Posted by
1976 posts

There's more to do in Canterbury than I expected. I took a day trip there from London last fall to see the cathedral (spent about an hour there) and the 11th-century Norman castle, about a 15-minute walk from the cathedral. The old medieval city gate is really cool too. There's a Roman museum which I wanted to see also but it closed by the time I finished a late lunch. But it depends on what you're interested in and how much you want to see.