Please sign in to post.

Boston hotels 2013

My husband & I are planning a trip to Boston next year in Oct. & would like some suggestions on some nice hotels(4 or 5 star) around historic locations & walking ease(also safe areas)-also-how is the driving around there? Insane(like I've been told?)

Posted by
2369 posts

This is really a European website. Might be better to go on something else, like Fodors. That said, we stayed at a hotel near what I think is called the Boston Commons, near where they have fireworks, sorry can't remember the name. Anyway, we walked all over, took a trolley or tour bus which was great. Would never drive there again, really no need and seem to remember parking was expensive. Did go to the "Cheers" bar and was worth it just for the trivia and of course what I think is called Old north Church and Paul Revere's house, had no idea he had time to have so many children. Don't miss Fanuel Hall just for experience. Ate great lobster dinner or lunch on waterfront near Old Ironsides. We really enjoyed city.

Posted by
989 posts

No more insane than any other city where the streets were originally cowpaths. Seriously, you don't need a car in Boston. The subways/trolleycars (MBTA)go everywhere you could want to go. Reasonable and fast public transportation. Google it to learn about the multi-day Charlie passes. And if you do drive in Boston, forget everything you know about "defensive" driving. You have to be an "offensive" driver, and I am not referring to rudeness. As Gail indicated, parking is expensive.
If you want to daytrip north to Salem or Rockport, or south to Cape Cod, then you will need a car. You want a 5-star? The Ritz-Carleton on Arlington St, right across from the Public Gardens is lovely and upscale. You have to experience the Swan Boats. Kitschy, but a Boston tradition. For an inexpensive historical tour, walk the Freedom Trail. You'll hit all the historical Revolutionary hot spots, including Old North Church and Paul Revere's house as mentioned by Gail. It's one of the very few "free" things left. Considering crossing over the Charles River to see MIT and Harvard - lots happening there in Harvard Square. Museums everyhere. Theaters. Sports. The Boston Pops playing on the Esplanade. It's impossible to run out of things to do. It's my favourite city in North America - and maybe the world. Unfortunately, they have winter there, else I'd have moved back.

Posted by
7039 posts

Trip Advisor is a good website to get info on hotels and touring info for anywhere (worldwide) it has good info on Boston.

Posted by
2369 posts

You are all probably too young to remember song about " charlie" the man who never returned from riding on the Boston "subway" but is worth listening to and then using the Boston transit system. Enjoy.

Posted by
1840 posts

The Parker House is an old standard, under newer management. Gail, I lived near Boston in 1962-65 compliments of Uncle Sam. I rode with Charlie. We shared a sandwich. Go to the Museum of Fine Arts. There's so much to see in Boston. Get a good city map and explore. My, this takes me back a few years. Thanks.

Posted by
1976 posts

Gail - we sang the Charlie song at camp in the late '80s / early '90s. I still remember the chorus!

Posted by
713 posts

I'm sure you will get lots of helpful answers to all your Boston questions at the TripAdvisor Boston forum: here.

Posted by
989 posts

..and people have asked me why the Massachusettsa Bay Transit Authority pass is called the Charlie Pass......duh!!!

Posted by
7 posts

Unless you are planning on doing a lot of day trips outside of Boston, I would recommend not having a car. There's plenty of public transportation to all of the major tourist areas in the city. Driving is confusing for anyone not familiar with the city (lots of traffic, one-way streets, streets with the same names that are different streets, etc) and parking is often expensive or hard to find. I live in Boston and don't own a car. There are nice hotels in the Copley Square area and near the Public Garden (Four Seasons, Taj Boston, Fairmont Copley). I've never stayed at any of them since I live here. That area is generally safe, walkable, and has good transportation access though. Just use common city sense. For example, the area near the Public Garden is considered very safe during the day and around the parks on the streets at night is fine, but I wouldn't recommend walking through the Public Garden or Boston Common after dark.

Posted by
376 posts

Hi Brenda, I live an hour from Boston & go up for the weekend a couple of times of year and still have not done everything I would like. Depending on your main focus, the 2 areas I like to stay in would be down by the waterfront & Fanuel Hall for sightseeing, dining or out by Copley Place for shopping, Boston Common & Theater going. On the waterfront, I usually stay at the Marriott Long Wharf, although I would say it is probably a 3.5 star not 4 or 5. The Boston Harbor Hotel is just down the street on Rowe's wharf and I believe a 4 or 5 star and then the Millenium over by Fanuel Hall. This area is great for sightseeing & walkable to the great Italian dining in the North End, as well as the NE Aquarium & TD Garden. For Copley Place I have stayed at both the Marriott & Westin Copley Place, again I would say they are probably only 3.5 stars though. Many, many years ago I also stayed at the Colonnade Hotel. It was my first stay at an upscale hotel, so I do have a soft spot for it, although I have not returned as it is too expensive for me now. If you are going on a holiday weekend or when there is a lot going on in town, expect to pay a premium for rooms. For example,I usually pay between $220 - $280/night at Marriott Long Wharf. When I tried to book there when we went to a concert last month, they were asking over $600/night for a standard room. This past week I was checking for a weekend next July and was getting quotes around $460. Hopefully you are flexible, because you can get some really good rates if you are, but not so much if you're going during a busy period. As for driving - it's not too bad going in and out of the City, except during rush hours, but once you're there, just park it & walk or take the MBTA, a car just isn't worth the aggravation.
Have a great trip, you're coming during my favorite New England season!

Posted by
1010 posts

Why would you ask a question about Boston on a European travel site?

Posted by
989 posts

Why not? There ia always someone here who has the answer and is willing to help.

Posted by
1806 posts

@Brenda: Check out the various hotels in the area run by Kimpton. If you join their InTouch program (free) in advance of reserving your room, you'll get complimentary WiFi access & they also typically throw in a coupon allowing you to raid the in-room minibar up to a certain dollar amount during your stay. Kimpton offers an evening wine reception in the lobby. While I haven't stayed at any of the Boston locations since I live here, I have stayed at their hotels in NYC, San Francisco and Washington, DC & they have never disappointed. Kimpton does have 1 hotel in Cambridge which is also a nice area to walk around with plenty to see and do (Harvard University, museums, lots of restaurants, cafes, shopping & bars) and easy, quick access to the rest of Boston via the T (MBTA) or a short taxi ride if you don't want to rent a car. I recommend not renting a car unless it's for a day trip outside the city. Indoor parking is expensive, street parking hard to come by in certain neighborhoods, the city is not laid out in a convenient grid pattern like Philadelphia or New York that makes it easy to figure out for visitors. Tourist Boston is pretty compact. Most of what you would want to see is going to be located within walking, short taxi or public transit distance. @Elaine (CA): With the repetitiveness of questions pertaining to money belts & scam artists, chip & pin credit cards, or whether a family of 5 adults can find 1 hotel room in an expensive European city that will accommodate all of them for less than $100 USD per night, who cares if her question is about Boston (or any other non-European location)? At least it's different and there are people on here who can give Brenda another option to consider instead of playing Board Patrol and shooing her off to another website. She might have info to share on her own city that would help someone else planning a trip to where she lives.

Posted by
1 posts

You should definitely check out MassVacation.com, the state's tourism website, for help in planning your trip. They have an entire "Plan Your Trip" section on their website which you could really benefit from, even to get an idea of places to stay and visit in the area...best of luck with your trip, it is such an AWESOME city!

Posted by
516 posts

Boston is a blast. We just stayed at the Talbott. Greatest employees of any hotel we've ever stayed at. Super location and very nice rooms. Not crazy expensive either. Have a great time.