Please sign in to post.

Booking a room in London for July, 2012

Should one be looking for a hotel room, B&B, college dorm room.... now for the period of July - August, 2012 (ie during the Olympic Games)? Have these places thought out their room pricing for this period of time? Are they even taking reservations? I would would lock in a facility now so that I can plan which tickets to purchase (or at least be entered into a ticket lottery). As I recall during the 2008 games in China the word was that there were plenty of tickets for sale but don't bother to come to China unless you had a place to stay. For the 2010 games in Vancouver I was looking for rooms in June, 2009, and mostly found over priced accommodations. Finally settled on a private room in a youth hostel for $115 per night (which would be split 3 ways). What I had in mind were the lower priced accommodations in London such as the dorm rooms. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted by
693 posts

In your place, I'd get Skype or whatever else is out there if you don't have it yet, for cheap overseas phone calls and then contact the universities directly, like King's College and others. They have websites you have to maneuver through to find the place where you can inquire about dorm rooms. In the past, you could often make an internet reservation about a year in advance but they're not always set up early for internet reservations, in which case you have to call or write. I don't know if they're planning way ahead because of the Olympics. I would definitely call to find out, keeping in mind the time difference and holidays. Good luck!

Posted by
3428 posts

Check out the London School of Economics. they have a wide variety of accomodations available. Their website is http://www.lsetopfloor.co.uk/default.htm If they are not yet doing internet reservations, then take the above advice, and start calling places. I have a feeling things are already getting filled up.

Posted by
345 posts

I've sent inquiries to LSE, Westminster, King's College, etc. and none are taking bookings yet. I don't care if I don't get any tickets, I just want to be there.

Posted by
449 posts

JumpinBug: Thanks for your posting. Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine. I had so much fun in Vancouver that I want to attend another Olympics again, and London seems to be the most do-able. I would like to stay in a dorm for about one week and buy tickets for the less popular and less expensive competitions. Just to be in London during that time will be great. Maybe we will cross paths.

Posted by
345 posts

I hope we do! I loved being in Vancouver, and loved attending events (and also stayed in a hostel for the times we stayed over!)... at least with summer Olys, there are some events that you can see portions of for free on the streets. There were so many amazing things to do in Vancouver, I'm sure London will be the same. Plus, it's London! :) Hopefully if anyone hears anything, they'll post. I'll happily pay double what I normally pay in London just for the chance to be there.

Posted by
449 posts

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this matter: ie booking a room during the 2012 Olympics. An Olympics focused board says that many of the dorms have been booked by national teams. Anyone know about this?

Posted by
449 posts

Last weekend I contacted all of the universities known to offer dorm rooms during the summer. The response from all but one was that they would not begin taking reservations until the end of the summer of 2010 or until about three months before the summer of 2012 (April 2012?). However, there is one institution that currently is accepting reservations for the summer of 2012 including the 2+ weeks that the Summer Games will be taking place. It is the University of Westminster. They offered me, a single visitor, either a room with bathroom located in the Marylebone neighborhood (Regent's Park) for about $100 per night, or a room with a shared bathroom in the Southwark/Elephant & Castle neighborhood (next door to the Imperial War Museum) for $57 per night. Because the latter location isn't that far away from central London I booked 14 nights for $800. The price of this dorm room with shared bathroom facilities is not a bargain, but the price is in the ball park of other dorm rooms at the 2010 rate (eg 35 pounds at U Westminster vs 29 pounds at University College London vs 35 pounds for a room with bathroom at King's College). However, I don't want to be worrying about seeking a reasonably priced accommodation a few months from now when I make my airline reservation. The cancellation policy is reasonable to me: 10% fee for cancellations up to two months before the date of occupancy. Here is the link to U Westminster's booking page: http://www.westminster.ac.uk/business/summer-accommodation I will be here for most of the Olympics so if you also book here drop me a line and we can visit a pub together.

Posted by
345 posts

Agh! I've contacted Westminster twice, they've said they have things available, then NEVER get back to me! Two different people now! Off to try again...

Posted by
345 posts

Geor, haven't stayed at that location, stayed previously at Wigram near Victoria Station. Typical dorm, but did enjoy our stay. I hadn't bothered posting about them as I haven't managed to actually get anywhere near booking with them. Glad to hear you had better luck. It's a great location, near the War Museum, walking distance to many areas, and close to Tube and etc. Hopefully I manage to get our month booked soon, since we put in ticket requests this week too!