Please sign in to post.

Book before coming to London!

I prebooked everything I could before coming to London, including Royal Day Out which gave us preferred, timed entry for Queen's Gallery and any time entry for Royal Mews and Buckingham Palace today. We didn't realize the combo ticket also gave us priority entry...just had to show ticket to warden at gate and were ushered right in ahead of the masses waiting in line. Word to the wise, especially if you're coming this month or next...book everything you can before you come. Lines and crowds have, been horrendous. But we've had a great time!

Posted by
9124 posts

Glad you had a great time and that booking ahead worked for you!! As summer is THE only time many can travel because of their work schedules it will always be the most crowded time to see the big cities of Europe. In my experience traveling off season lessens the need to pre book Been to London over a dozen times, never during the Summer months. Usually Fall and Winter. Lines and crowds were minimal. This past May was showing a first time visitor around and we found a line of 10 at the Tower of London first thing in the morning. We literally walked into the first pod on the Wheel. The only thing we did prebook were tickets to the Old Globe. Biggest crowd was Westminster Abby but the line to purchase tickets wasn't horrendous. Simply saying if one can travel off peak season crowds and lines we be less. Tallyho!

Posted by
643 posts

We walked up to the ticket counter at Buckingham Palace at 9:30 and were able to get tickets for the 9:45 tour no problem at all. Will probably do the same thing this time. First thing in the morning on a weekday in September shouldn't be a problem, though as it was getting warm the day we were there, we were glad we didn't go later!