Please sign in to post.

B&B in Edinburgh

Would like your recommendations for a B&B in Edinburgh for this September. We prefer en-suite rooms . Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by
317 posts

Hi Denise, This comes up now and again .. and several "regulars" will likely pop in with our favorites :-) .. perhaps a search on Edinburgh will give you links while you wait for more replies? I've twice stayed at the Dene, www.deneguesthouse.com. Pamela recommends the Walton, www.waltonhotel.com, and I know she's stayed elsewhere, but don't remember the name. I mention one of her likely recommendations because I want to try the Walton someday, but so far have only managed to stay once at its sister guest house, the Glenora, www.glenorahotel.co.uk. The Glenora is in the West End, near Haymarket station, right around the corner from an Airlink bus stop. The Walton and Dene are not far from each other, in the New Town area, and on very good bus routes. Cheers.

Posted by
5678 posts

Denise, you also should think about where you want to stay. I like staying over in New Town which is where The Walton is. I've stayed off Dalkeith Road once and it was okay. I liked New Town better because of the access to restaurants that I like. Others really want to stay close to the Royal Mile. Bear in mind that any place is pretty accessible to the tourist sites. The bus is not that expensive. You can get a fare that lets you get on and off the bus all day. Pam

Posted by
342 posts

Denise, my husband and I have stayed at the Stuart House, 12 East Claremont Street. It's about a 15 – 20 minute walk to the Royal Mile, but is on a bus line if you don't want to walk. We also stayed at the Broughton Guest House, 37 Broughton Place (www.broughton-hotel.com). It's a couple of minutes closer to the Royal Mile, there is a nice neighborhood pub one block away, and across the street from the pub is an excellent restaurant called the Olive Branch. You actually pass this B&B on the way to Stuart House.
Both places were nice, the breakfasts were very tasty, and the owners were accommodating.

Posted by
2023 posts

We liked Seven Danube Street near Newtown but walking distance to the historic center. Had a lovely ensuite room in an Edwardian townhouse-room overlooked garden in the back. It is listed in Karen Brown book.

Posted by
629 posts

We stayed at the Priestville Guest House (Dalkeith neighbourhood) in May for 3 nights. Great QUIET location within easy walking distance to pubs, restaurants, laundry and buses to the Royal Mile. We had no problem finding parking in front of the B&B for our entire stay (used buses for local trips). Colin is a wealth of info and makes a fine breakfast.

Posted by
1266 posts

Denise, I like to stay at the Mingalar www.mingalar.eu. It is about a 15 minute walk to Waverly station. The owner Clive is extermely familiar with the goings on in Edinburgh.

Posted by
6713 posts

Like Bob from BC, we also stayed at Priestville Guest House in May (don't remember meeting him though). Good location, good breakfast, friendly and well-informed host. In the Dalkeith Road neighborhood, it's a block from a bus stop that gets you into the downtown (Royal Mile, Princes St. etc.) in about 15 minutes with frequent service. There are good places to eat and drink in the Dalkeith Road area too, try the lamb at Hanedan's!

Posted by
959 posts

Hi Denise,
We highly recommend The Victorian Townhouse. She's rated 14th on Tripadvisor for B&B's. There's pictures on there, actually, some of which are me. And you'll actually see my husband in one of them! :) If you go to the 9/30/09 review, that's mine... The owner, Aileen, ROCKED. We still keep in touch. HUGE rooms and ensuite. Our room had a lovely view of the garden. We actually walked to the center of town, to/from the train station, etc. It's up a hill going from the train station, but still doable (Haymarket Station). Edinburgh is a great city. We were also there in September and it was great!

Posted by
2433 posts

We have used "smoothhound.com" for finding b&b's in the UK and have liked this site very much. You can also look at the graffiti wall section of Rick's site where you can find info about b&b's.

Posted by
993 posts

We have stayed a couple of times at The Airdenair off the Dalkieth road which we found in Ricks book. Jill is a star. It's walkable to town and Arthurs Seat. There is also a laundromat on the main road where you can drop your laundry for a service wash..check with Jill if she will be home and the laundromat will deliver. Nothing special, just clean clothes stuffed into a bag. I've also used smoothhound.co.uk quite alot.
Gail is right too. Look at The Graffiti Wall for Heroic B&B Friendliness.