Please sign in to post.

B&B in Edinburgh

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good B&B in Edinburgh? A quiet place with a good breakfast and warm, congenial hosts would be wonderful.

Posted by
1819 posts

We enjoyed Amaraqua, which is about a mile's walk from the castle. It's in a residential neighborhood (Dalkeith Road area) and there are many nearby restaurants. We picked it for its proximity to Arthur's Seat, since my husband wanted to walk there.

Posted by
5678 posts

I stayed at The Walton last July. The room was nice, the host was pleasant. They gave me a to go breakfast as I was on an early AM flight out of Edinburgh. It is 10-15 minute walk max from Waverly in New Town. I have also stayed at the Inverleith Hotel. It is a small family run hotel near the Royal Botanic Gardens. I really liked it. Very nice hosts, a bit off the tourist track, but easy bus connection up to New Town or The Royal Mile. I would ride the bus up the hill in the AM, but walk back in the PM. PAm

Posted by
1265 posts

Michelle, Our family stayed at Mingalar summer 2009. It's about a 15 minute walk from Waverly train station. The host Clive is very knowledgable on the goings on in Edinburgh. www.mingalar.eu

Posted by
24 posts

I stayed at the Ardgarth Guest House (http://www.ardgarth.com/) in Edinburgh, and loved it. It is also off the tourist track in a place called Portobello, right by the water. It was fun walking on the beach in the morning, the hosts were nice and gave us suggestions on what to do, and the breakfast was good. You do have to take the bus to get to Old Town and New Town, but that was pretty easy to do.

Posted by
144 posts

We haven't stayed there yet, but after much research, have chosen The Edinburgh Guest House at 14 Hart Street. It has a great rating on Trip Advisor. It has 246 reviews and all of them have the maximum rating. I don't think 246 people can be wrong. They have a nice amenity of having a tray of wine and "whiskey" every day of your stay in addition to the full breakfast. We are staying there March 23 and 24.
Thanks - Bill

Posted by
993 posts

Everyone has their favourite. Mine is The Airdenair Guest house at 29 Kilmaurs Rd. Off the Dalkieth Rd.

Posted by
8956 posts

My daughter and I enjoyed staying at Elderfields Guest House in May. Our room was only 64 GBP per night and not only did we get a great breakfast, the owner, Maureen was simply the nicest, most helpful person. The house was built around 1870 and Maureen has decorated it beautifully. Our bedroom looked out over Arthurs Seat, the street is quiet, but after about a 10 min. walk which takes you past Holyrood Palace and the Scottish Parliament, you are on the Royal Mile. There was also a bus stop about a 5 min. walk from the B&B, which we used to go to Portobello. http://www.guest-houses-edinburgh.com/index.php

Posted by
312 posts

Hi, great suggestions already, but I'm happy to pass on mine, too. I've stayed twice. Furniture is basic, but breakfast is good, hosts friendly, and the location is great for catching either the #36, 23, or 27 bus. Dene Guest House, www.deneguesthouse.com It's out the same way as the two Pamela suggests, and I ditto her recommendation, lol: bus in morning to the Royal Mile, but enjoy the walk back in the afternoon. The Dundas St hill is a doozy. I walked up once; walking down is more fun :-)

Posted by
17 posts

I just want to thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. It's made my search so much more focused and easier. Now my challenge will be to see this historic city in the 21/2 days and 3 nights which I've allotted. With much appreciation, Michelle

Posted by
837 posts

Michelle, I would strongly suggest you go to www.tripadvisor.com and enter Edinburgh. You can search all b & bs in order of ratings given by people who have used them. As I am planning a trip in May including Edinburgh, I monitor this issue. I checked several of the recommended places and several did not fare well. I generally look first at the rating and the price range. I then go to the photos and finally the posted notes. I click on the terrible/poor postings, if there are any. Sometimes they indicate a potential problem; sometimes they are obviously hard to please people, and sometimes they are clearly fraudulent (for example I checked a hotel in Florence where we had stayed for which a posing complained about the carpet in the room; the management stated that there are no carpets in the rooms and that the poster must have had another establishment in mind; I know that there are no carpeted rooms so this post was either a mistake or a fraud.) I then look at the other postings, looking for comments on room size, decor, and breakfast. I then go to the facility's website to check prices, availability, and cancellation policy. I have used this method all over Europe for six trips and never been disappointed. Admittedly it takes a bit of time and always seems confusing at first, but soon, clarity emerges.

Posted by
2373 posts

We used web site "smoothound.com and were not disappointed. When in Edinburgh, don'ts miss visiting Mary King's Close. Look up information on the web, it was fantastic and just down street from castle. Also see Royal Yacht in the harbor, easy access by bus from anyplace. Beautiful city, I think nickname is the Athens of Europe. You will not be disappointed at all!!!! Of course check out Rick;s video, well worth it.