Please sign in to post.

ATM Cards

We will be in England and Ireland for a month this summer. I'm concerned about the growing prevalence for chip cards. Will we have trouble using our ATM/Debit cards in England/Ireland?

Posted by
1022 posts

I'v e never had a problem in England or other W. European countries with my debit card either at ATM's or in stores or restaurants.

Posted by
188 posts

We didn't have any trouble in The Netherlands or Italy last year, but I've been reading about other travelers' problems with chip cards and have started to become a bit concerned. Glad to hear that others have not had problems.

Posted by
23562 posts

As a debit card at an ATM it will not be a problem.

Posted by
12313 posts

Chip and pin may affect using your credit cards for certain purchases - even then the places that can't/won't take our credit cards are few and far between. It won't have any affect on using your debit card to get cash from an ATM.

Posted by
970 posts

ATM cards: no. Credit cards: Maybe. Someone will correct me if this is wrong, but I do not believe UK or Irish banks are issuing debit/ATM card that rely on a chip. You can use an ATM card there just as you do in the U.S. Be sure your PIN is four characters, does not start with a zero, and contains no letters. Your bank can tell you if they have an arrangement with one of the UK/Irish banks that might save you a few bucks on fees. Credit cards, however, are assumed to have a chip. In popular tourist areas, though, you'll probably find that merchants, etc., are quite willing to deal with an American card. On the other hand, a growing number of automated facilities -- toll booths, gas stations, etc. -- seem to be able to accept only a chip&pin card.