Please sign in to post.

Aran Islands

On my next trip to Ireland I want to spend some time on the Aran Islands. Can anyone suggest where to stay, what to do and where to eat. I was hoping to go in May or Sept? Thanks for your input

Posted by
2715 posts

I've been to Inishmore and loved it. We stayed at the Man of Aran Cottage and thought it was great. It's small and nothing fancy, but it is warm and inviting and has a fabulous view over the water. We had dinner there, which I can recommend. All fresh local food. Good breakfast too. It's an easy walk to Dun Aengus (I know I'm not spelling that right), which is IMO the best site on the island. We also took a longer walk to some other ruins the next day, but unfortunately, it was pouring rain.

Posted by
32212 posts

Pat,

I'd also suggest that Inishmore might be the best option, as it's the largest of the islands and has the best selection of lodgings, etc. As I recall, there's a Hotel with a nice restaurant right at the Ferry docks, and also a Hostel nearby. Have a look at kilronan.ie-internet.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ for some good views of the island and suggestions on things to do.

Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

The ferry to the Aran Islands is a great ride. While there last June, I had the best cheeseburger of my life at THE AMERICAN BAR, up hill from where the fery docks. We rode the pony traparound the island ...went to the fort, and shopped for sweaters near the fort. Our driver told us that hand- made sweaters that help the local economy are from the little shp by the coffee shop up near Dun Aengus, NOT the shop in the harbor

Ellen