Please sign in to post.

Aran Islands

We are going to take a day trip to the Aran Islands. Is it best to hire a taxi tour while we are there or to just take the bus? Does the bus driver explain what things are? Will the taxi tour wait while you stroll around and look at things?

Posted by
1806 posts

Which Island are you visiting? Inis Mor? The shuttle bus drivers are just that, drivers. Not really tour guides, but they are generally happy to answer some questions for you about the places that they leave you at, and they will make suggestions about other things you can see and do during your visit if you ask them. The taxis can wait for you while you stroll around, but for some spots, like Dun Aengus, you could spend quite a long time just hiking up the hill to get there and you'll want to stay awhile and take in the view. Either make an arrangement with that particular driver to come back for you at a certain time, or simply catch another taxi or shuttle back to where you need to go - there are plenty of them lined up and waiting to get people as they finish touring the bigger sightseeing draws.

Posted by
201 posts

Thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Posted by
1806 posts

You didn't mention whether you are taking a ferry over or flying to the Islands, but as I go to see family in Western Ireland often, I can tell you that Doolin is a pretty unreliable port to cross over from. Ferries are frequently canceled, even in sunny weather, due to choppy seas. It's much easier to fly or else catch a ferry further north (such as in Rossaveal). But if you simply don't have the time to head north or the desire to get on a very small plane, then try to have some alternate plans lined up for that day in the event there is a ferry cancellation from Doolin. And if it's raining and the ferry does happen to be running over, you may want to cancel the trip. Most of what you want to see is outside and it can be quite cold and windy when it rains (even in the summer), and if the fog starts rolling in or the seas get worse, you could actually get stuck out on the Islands if they stop running the ferries back to the mainland. If that happens, there are several good hotels, B&Bs and even a hostel where you can find a bed.

Posted by
201 posts

Good advice. We are planning on taking the Rossaveal ferry. I hadn't thought about getting stuck over there if the weather is bad, so thanks for the tip. We are planning on bringing our Frog Toggs Rain Gear but we don't want to get stuck over there.