Please sign in to post.

Apartment or Hotel - 10 days in London July 2012

We are family of four )2 adults/2 teens) traveling to London July 2-12 (then train to Paris for 4 days). I would appreciate any advice on whether we should look for an apartment rental in London or stay in a hotel. There is space it appears at Lime Hotel, Luna Simone and Jesmond Dene which people have talked about. If we it's an apartment, any suggestions as to where to rent from. Our budget is a max. $400 U.S dollars a night. Thank you. GD

Posted by
149 posts

For a family of 4 for that length of time, I highly recommend getting an apartment. You would have much more room and be more comfortable. You would also have a fridge to store drinks and snacks, and a cooking area if you wanted to make a meal. Most apartments also have a washer and dryer. $400/night is a healthy budget. You can find a nice apartment in Zone 1 or 2 for less than that, but $400/night will get you a very nice apartment. Take a look at London Connection, which has a good reputation: http://goo.gl/2fxeB Another reputable company is A Place Like Home: http://www.aplacelikehome.co.uk/ You might also consider Hamlet UK. It's near Tower Bridge and Tower of London. At first blush it seems a bit out of the way, but it really isn't. There is a supermarket close by, tube station about 5 minutes away, the Number 15 bus, and several eateries a stone's throw away. See below: http://goo.gl/KCVHl

Posted by
344 posts

I have 2 children, 11 years old, and we always rent an apartment and have done so in Paris, Seville, Barcelona, and in many locations in the US. We usually use www.vrbo.com and have had excellent results each time. The joy of each person being able to eat breakfast on their own time frame-someone able to grab a bowl of cereal while someone else is showeringthe ability to keep fruit, cheese, yogurt, milk, jam, etc in the fridge for snacks in the afternoon, or simply to save $100 by having just 1 dinner of pasta at home...not to mention the privacy! If someone wants to take a nap, no problem. If someone is bugging someone else bec you have all been cooped up in a tiny hotel room together...you have some room to avoid that problem altogether. Not only that, European hotel rooms tend to be relatively small, so you usually need to have 2 rooms for 4 people. if you happen to have 2 boys who will sleep easily in a double bed together, you might be able to find some family rooms with 2 double beds....but with an apt, you can get a 2 BR and have 1 BR with 2 single beds. Hints: The downside is that you don't have a front desk for assistance, no bell boy. Make sure you know exactly where the apartment is; use Google, especially street view, to see the apt building and surrounding area. If you want a washer/dryer, note whether it is available. Ask what floor the apt is on...if you don't want the 7th floor, make sure you are not there! Feel free to email me privately if you wish. Suzanne
San Diego

Posted by
410 posts

Definately an apartment. More space, more privacy, a kitchen to prepare snacks, breakfast, tea, coffee etc, bedroom (s) separate from the living space etc. Usually a washing machine. You could look at apartment reviews on www.slowtravel.com or tripadviser or google 'apartment rental London' .

Posted by
3428 posts

Many years ago we used Citadines ApartHotels (the Covent Garden/Holborn location) when we took our kids. You get a front desk (not quite the service of a full hotel, but someone most of the time) and for as long as you are staying, you would get a linen change or two. They also have multiple locations. http://www.citadines.com/en/uk/london You might also want to check out the London School of Economics (and maybe other universities). They rent spare dorm rooms and apartments to tourists. They have multiple locations in central London. all have ensuite and have either a kitchen/kitchenett or access to one. You also get access to the student laundry room in the building and the "lounge" (read TV and game room)
http://www.lsetopfloor.co.uk/

Posted by
2349 posts

Teens often sleep later than is reasonable to sane people, so you should look for an area where the adults can get up and do something. You can then head back and pick them up when they're up. Also, you want an area with shops, etc that you'd feel comfortable letting them go to while you relax at the apartment.

Posted by
18 posts

Terrific advice, thank you eveyone. We have decided for sure to rent. I am talking with Ivy Lettings who has good reviews. Now the focus is the best area to stay in that is safe, easy access to the T and buses, we want to take a few day trips to york, bath, windsor, and that is an area we could walk about at night to grab a bite. Kensington, Sloane Square, Belgravia, Marylebone have come up. Any thoughts. Thank you again so much

Posted by
17255 posts

We have only stayed near Westminster Bridge and Victiria Station, but we have walked all over most of London because we enjoy it so much. Based on our walks, I would go Belgravia, Sloane Square, and/or Kensington. Marylebone would be my last choice. Sometimes it helps to check places out on Google maps, satellite view. You can see what the neighborhood looks like, how much greenery is around ( something we appreciate) and whether there are industrial areas or big noisy motorways close by. Also you can see how the various neighborhoods relate to eachnother and to sights like the palace, the Tower, the Thames, museums, etc.

Posted by
5804 posts

Gail, do you have the street names for any of the flats or nearest tub station?

Posted by
18 posts

Here is what I have from Ivy Lettings. We ruled out the Marylebone as its on the 6th floor with no lift. We are thinking after a day of walking the last thing we want to do is hike up 6 floors. The prices below are for 9 nights. Do they seem in the ballpark. I am sure there are hundreds upon hundreds of apartments and I could drive myself nuts on a variety of sights. I am thinking if it meets our budget, and this agency is supposed to be good, if I find something, we should just take it, and then get on to the real fun....planning our trip! Thanks for any guidance, and if none of these are good, or you think they are grossly overpriced, just say so too. You all are the best!!! http://www.ivylettings.com/cms Cornwall Mews South £1690 One of our most popular apartments - very similar area to Elystan Street above - but also extremely close to Hyde Park. http://www.ivylettings.com/bel Belgrave Road
Belgrave Road £1945 - Very modern and comfortable apartment - fabulous outdoor patio with bbq and seating area. Pimlico underground is about 3 minutes away and plenty of restaurants and cafes towards Victoria (probably 10 minutes walk to the station). http://www.ivylettings.com/ely £1755 South Kensington is a very popular area with our guests - you have some of the major museums just around the corner (natural history, victoria and albert and Hyde Park within easy walking distance). Lots of cafes and restaurants and the Fulham Road is very popular for more independent places to eat.

Posted by
18 posts

It appears on my last post maybe the Belgrave one did not come through. Here it is again http://www.ivylettings.com/bel Belgrave Road
Belgrave Road £1945 - Very modern and comfortable apartment - fabulous outdoor patio with bbq and seating area. Pimlico underground is about 3 minutes away and plenty of restaurants and cafes towards Victoria (probably 10 minutes walk to the station).

Posted by
149 posts

All of these are good choices and all are within your stated budget of less than $400/night (at today's conversion rates) . The apartment in Cornwall Mews ($290/night), would be my 3rd choice. It's beautifully furnished, but it only has one bathroom. I'm also not crazy about the trundle bed in the 2nd bedroom. Location would also be my 3rd choice (although it's not bad). Elystan Street: ($300/night) This would be my 2nd choice. Furnishings not as nice, but it has 2 bathrooms, and two real beds for your teens. I assume this is the Belgrave apartment: http://www.ivylettings.com/bel It would be my first choice ($334/night). It's beautifully furnished, and at 925 sq ft, is the largest of the 3. IMO the Pimlico location is also the most central of the 3. Close to Victoria rail and tube, Pimlico tube, and the bus line. It's also walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and other sites.

Posted by
5804 posts

Gail, I haven't looked at the description of each flat's amenities as that really is personal preference. As far as location, I think any of these flats would work. For me, the Pimlico flat would be my last choice location. I'm not crazy about Pimlico and the Pimlico tube station is only on the Victoria line. For the other two flats, both South Kensington and Gloucester Road tube are on the Circle, District, and Piccadilly lines, so I think these locations are slightly better for transportation. You are also an easy walk to the three South Kensington museums. I'd probably choose the Elystan Street flat because I really like the South Kensington area. It is a nice residential area. You are also close to lots of shops along the King's Road . Cornwall Mews is close to the Gloucester Road tube where there is a Waitrose (nice grocery store) which would be very convenient. There are also quite a few restaurants around the Gloucester Road tube and the Earls Court tube but they are mostly chain restaurants. Anyway, they all look like fine choices. I'd suggest that you just go with your gut feeling based on what you think would work for your family.

Posted by
18 posts

thanks everyone. We booked the Cornwell Mews. Now its planning the daily schedules. Appreciate all your great advice

Posted by
9124 posts

Pleased to hear you got your accommodations lined up for London. Nice area. As far as your daily schedules it's going to based on your choices of things to see. London is very easy to navigate on foot, by bus, by tube. Many of the most visited sights are close by each other. What are must sees for you?The Tower of London? The numerous free museums? Westminster Abby? The Pallie? Theatre? Camden Locke? The London Eye? Buy a Timeout magazine when you arrive. Good resource. Do you have an interest in Jack The Ripper? The Beatles? The Royals? Peruse the London Walks website. Excellent way to see and learn about London's history. Would the Sir John C Ritblatt room in the British Library be of interest to you and your teens? The Theatre Museum? A canal boat ride in little Venice? The WWII cabinet rooms? MUCH to experience and explore. As an example of Saturday in London one could start early morning (tough with teens) with a visit across the Thames to the historic Boroughs Market for breakfast. Gloucester road to London Bridge. District or Circle line to Monument. Then to London Bridge. Following breakfast and exploration of the market stroll along the Thames and cross the Tower bridge enroute to the Tower of London. I'd be there as early as possible, spend a good 2 plus hours exploring to Tower, then take the Tower Hill tube to Algate East. Exit and walk up to Spitafields Market. Have lunch there. Giraffe is good. Walk back to the tube taking in the neighborhood's quirkiness along the way . Head to St. Paul's. Go there for the Choral evensong. That way you don't have to pay the enormous admission price. You get to sit and listen to some wonderful music and see the interior of St. Paul's free of charge. After you're either ready for dinner and some theatre or simply returning to the apartment to rest up of another day of exploration. Again only an example of how much can be seen in a day. Cheers.