Please sign in to post.

Another Travelcard question

I am planning to purchase 7-day Travelcards for our time in London (One week). One of those days we are considering going by train to the Warner Bros Studio. We need to take the train to Watford Junction. That station is in zone 9 so it is NOT included with the 7-day TC. Correct? Next question. Should we take the train to the station in zone 6 (for "free") and then buy our tix from that station to Watford Junction? Trying to make the best use of our TC and not spend $$ unnecessarily. If there is an easier way please feel free to clue me in. I'll admit that my head starts to swim whenever I start working on this stuff. Thank you! Kristen

Posted by
5533 posts

Kristen, Watford Junction is actually outside of zone 9. It sounds like you plan to get a zone 1-6 travelcard and I assume that you are getting the one issued by National Rail so that you can take advantage of the 2 for 1 offers. You can buy a separate ticket from the zone 6 boundary to Watford Junction. Are you sure that you need a zone 1-6 travelcard? Most tourist sites are in zone 1-2 so many people find that this type of card is sufficient. The zone 1-2 weekly card is a lot less than the zone 1-6, so make sure you actually need that type.

Posted by
32813 posts

Nearly what Laura said. Watford Junction is actually in zone 9. But that should not be of consideration for Kristen. If you, as it seems from your OP, are going to have a 1-6 Travelcard for a week you will be wasting money - much much more than worrying about a trip to Watford. Unless you are going to loads of places in 3-6 you will be pouring money down the drain. Virtually every tourist will be more than happy with a zones 1-2. Yes, if you do have a 1-6, you could get a ticket from Harrow & Wealdstone to WFJ. You don't need to be in Harrow to buy a ticket, you can do it at any rail (not Underground) station. You will probably be better served to treat the trip to WFJ as a separate day trip. London Midland run frequent trains from Euston, some non stop, some stopping at Harrow & Wealdstone and Bushey. London Overground also run trains to WFJ from Euston but they stop frequently and are considerably more slow. Virgin stop at Watford on some of their trains from Euston but you must not use those trains because they are ONLY for passengers joining at WFJ and set down is not permitted. The similar case is for Virgin trains to Euston from WFJ. The trains are all set down only and joining is not permitted. You must use either London Midland or Overground trains.

Posted by
5533 posts

@Nigel ... I noticed that TFL has a Zones 1-9 + Watford Junction ticket which costs more than just a zone 1-9 ticket. That is why I assumed that Watford Junction must be outside of zone 9. www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx Do you know why they list Watford Junction separately?

Posted by
32813 posts

Well I'm always willing to be corrected... I have always, in the course of my work, considered WFJ as zone 9 and, certainly, Watford High Street is zone 8. But after your post I have looked more closely at the zone maps and you are right. Technically zone 9 is only Amersham and Chesham at the very end of the Metropilitan Line and while Watford High Street is in zone 8, WFJ is not in a zone at all, it is just in suburban Hertfordshire, and is beyond even zone 9 if you stretch it around. Not that this really matters if you do as I mentioned in the prior post and use 1&2 for your Travelcards and get tickets from Euston to WFJ.

Posted by
117 posts

Thank you both for your help! I realize now that a zone 1&2 TC will work fine for us. Appreciate it!!! Kristen