Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam

We'll be in Amsterdam for in January. I've been there in the summer before, but not in the winter. Any suggestions of day trips, or other winter activities, in the area?

Posted by
242 posts

I would recommend a day trip to Utrecht. There are a bunch of lovely museums (all close together and within walking distance), plenty of nice restaurants and cafes, a nice church, and even an indoor shopping mall if the weather turns nasty. Also, the Kasteel de Haar is a nice visit if you have a car (it is a bit hard to get to on public transit - it involves a sporadic bus and 10-15 walk).

My favorite museums in Utrecht are the Dick Bruna Huis (even better if you have children), the Aboriginal Art museum, a musical instruments museum (lots of lovely street organs, and the central museum. If you make it to Utrecht, try an schedule a tour of the Reitveld-Schroder Huis with the central museum. It is the only house in the world that completely (furniture and all) conforms to the Di Stijl movement (think Mondrian painting come to life).

On another note, don't forget to pack a rain jacket and umbrella. Also, biking in the Netherlands is wonderful, but decide if you are prepared to spend a day on a bike in cold and very windy weather before renting one January.

Posted by
4555 posts

Bravo....someone else who appreciates Utrecht!! If you go on a Wednesday or Saturday, they have a big market starting right outside the train station/shopping mal. When I was there last, the massive licorice stand near the entrance was run by a woman from Wisconsin and her Dutch husband. The city is also known for its lovely canals, down a level from the street. But I'm not sure if the wondeful canal-level restaurants will be open in January.