Please sign in to post.

Afternoon Tea?

Anyone got a recommendation for an afternoon tea location in London? I would prefer something that wont set me back $100!

Posted by
340 posts

I also recommend the Orangery at Kensington Palace. The setting is beautiful, and we were not rushed to finish and move on. Also, for a quick cream tea or a light lunch between shopping and sights near Kensington Palace, try the Muffin Man at 12 Wrights Lane which is just a short walk from the High Street Kensington tube stop.

Posted by
2023 posts

Fortnum and Mason may be a good option. Places such as the Lanesborough, Ritz, Savoy, etc can easily run over your budget. Although I have not had tea at the British Museum or National Gallery, I think they serve a nice afternoon tea for decent prices.

Posted by
1986 posts

For a 'reasonable price' but still an experience= Harrods or the Orangerie in kensington Gardens

Posted by
15582 posts

I made a list before my last trip to London after much internet research. Sadly I only got to "Bob Bob Ricard." It was quite good, very different atmosphere, posh in a 1940's parallel universe kind of way. The first lot of scones were stale, but they quickly brought fresh ones when I complained and topped up the tea a couple of times. I didn't finish the plate and they boxed up the leftovers very nicely for me to take home. (£23.50 + service) They serve "afternoon tea" from early morning to late at night. 1 Upper James St, Soho bet Oxford Circus and Piccadilly tubes Here are the ones I didn't get to (prices from 2010): National Portrait Gallery. Overlooking Trafalgar Square and (in the distance) Big Ben, you can enjoy a cream tea. The food is pretty good, but nothing special (neither is the service). However, the view and ability to escape the madding crowd make it a very pleasant place to have afternoon tea. (You need to get the lift situated towards the rear of the Gallery to the top-floor restaurant. Ask for a table by the window). Fortnum & Mason's (£38 + 12.5% service) – but tons of food, per the menu. 181 Piccadilly, half way between Green Park and Piccadilly Circus tubes Rex Whistler Restaurant @ Tate Britain If you're short on time, why not squeeze in an afternoon tea during a visit to Tate Britain? The gallery is free to get in and a marvellous way to spend an afternoon. After your cultural fix, go down to the basement and visit their restaurant. Surrounded by a somewhat bizarre mural, you can enjoy a traditional afternoon tea for under a tenner (as of summer 2010). The size of the portions - reflected in the price - is pretty small. However, this isn't a bad thing. It gives all the necessities of an afternoon tea without leaving you feeling piggish. more follow

Posted by
15582 posts

Liberty's tea room, 208-222 Regent Street (appears to be dept store specializing in fabrics). Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat 10 to18.30, Thu 10 to 19.30, Sun 10-17.30. Afternoon tea £16, Cream tea £8 Cream tea is scones and cakes, full afternoon tea includes savories (usually finger sandwiches) The Botanist. 7 Sloane Square, Sloane Square Tube 15.30-18.00 afternoon tea £17 Sloane Square's chic set by in the afternoon to relish the sanctuary that is Tom and Ed Martin's beautiful botany-inspired dining room. Teatime treats are wonderfully classic, and slightly childish, with crumpets and waffles to sate the tired shopper. The Wolseley, 160 Piccadilly Mon-Fri 15.00-18.30, Sat 15.30-17.30, Sun 15.30-18.30; Cream Tea £9.75, Afternoon tea £21 (+ 12.5%). Often crowded, you may have to wait for a table. Brumus, Haymarket Hotel, 1 Suffolk Pl (Piccadilly), This is the newest and grandest hotel of the very British but stylish Firmdale Hotels group. You can take tea in the blood-red Brumus restaurant, or a much brighter hotel reception area (called the Conservatory). The afternoon teas are excellent, cream teas (£9). Haymarket tea (£17) included a cake stand filled with savouries – scones, plus finger sandwiches of crab and avocado, and the more usual egg and watercress, smoked salmon etc. The top tier was clotted cream and some sublime dense jams and preserves. But the middle tier was prettiest: cupcakes, fresh fruit tarts, and a lamington (an Aussie sponge cake). The tea was good quality too, with unlimited top-ups. We didn't need to book ahead, and weren't turfed out after two hours. At such a price, this is one of the most flexible and enjoyable afternoon teas in the West End. British Museum – (you may have to book)
Court Restaurant (upstairs) 15.00-17.30 £18.50

Posted by
15582 posts

I did go into Fortnum & Mason, meaning to have tea, but I stopped to look at the ice cream selection and never went any farther.

Posted by
38 posts

I have read a lot of positive reviews from others on this board for the orangerie in Kensington Palace. I'm going to try there during my visit. Check out the website, it looks really nice for the price.

Posted by
13 posts

Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin in the Fields. Nice afternoon tea, good value.

Posted by
2775 posts

For a place that isn't expensive, I would highly recommend The Orangery at Kensington Palace, good food and it's beautiful inside.

Posted by
8655 posts

For a formal afternoon tea experience, The Milestone Hotel in Kensington. Will set you back that $100. Was 31.50 British Pounds each. Very traditional. The afternoon tea at the restaurant at St Paul's is good but reservations a MUST. Kitchen uses fresh local ingredients. Lastly, the original Bea's of Bloomsbury does a simple afternoon tea and as many have noted tea at The Orangery at Kensington Place is wonderful. Check Time Out London for other possible places that fit your criteria.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot. I did see the Orangery in Rick Steves' book too. Since we have one day to just wander around the Kensington & Hyde Park area I think we will check that one out! Thanks again!

Posted by
993 posts

Afternoon tea at The Crypt at St. Martins. Hmmmm It's a fun place for a little something but not afternoon tea as it a cafeteria. There are lots of places that cost less than $100. It all depends on how much less. For a decently priced tea I like Liberty. I also like The National Gallery. It has a great location and the price is good at £14.50. Browns Hotel charges £39.50 which is roughly $63.00, and the Ritz is £42.00.

Posted by
518 posts

We had tea at the Brown Hotel. We just called ahead a day or so for a reservation. A local suggested it to us. You do not need to dress formally. We went in our sightseeing clothes for the day. I wore khakis and a polo shirt. It was expensive but not as much as some other places. It was very nice and very much how you picture afternoon tea.

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I have had tea upstairs in Harrod's three times. We really enjoyed it. They were remodeling the restaurant last September when we we there. We will be returning there in July.