Please sign in to post.

accomodations in Edinburgh

Help! There are so many apartments for rent and I'm not sure what's a good location to stay in. Want to be within walking distance of everything.

Posted by
312 posts

Hi,

I do not know if it is the best location ("best" is so relative), but I enjoyed a week's rental here: http://www.aboutscotland.co.uk/edin/waverley.html

I walked across the park to get to the back of the Palace and #36 bus stop. Other bus stops were up Abbey Lane on London Road, as well as the biggish supermarket.

I enjoyed my stay. FYI, I did not have a car, walked everywhere. You would have to ask the owner about space for parking if you had a car.

Posted by
64 posts

Not sure about apartments in the area, but we stayed at the Apex International in the Grassmarket area. Good restaurants, very centrally located for tourists (we were on a Rick Steves tour) and easy to get to.

Downside is that they are putting in a new transportation system in Edinburgh and there was a lot of construction when we were there last summer. Might want to check on the progress of that, but it wouldn't stop me from staying there again.

Posted by
5678 posts

If you really want to be within walking distance, then look in these areas: The Royal Mile, New Town, Prince's Street, Grassmarket, and Calton Hill. In normal times, the bus system is pretty easy to use and places like Dalkeith Road, west Prince's Street, Murrayfield, Botanic Gardens, are long hikes (some up hill) but easy bus rides. If you have some specific areas you want to know about, feel free to PM me.

Pam