Please sign in to post.

A few days in Ireland

A some friends and I were thinking about going to Ireland for a few days. Getting there late Thursday night and Leaving Sunday afternoon. Where would you reccomend going? The flight would be on ryan air to the Dublin Airport so it would be nice to stay at least a few hours from the airport.
We would like to be able to see a castle and maybe be near a city.

Posted by
4 posts

Sorry, we're currently in Oxford. I think the Luton Airport is closest. We're open to changing that though.

Posted by
104 posts

Dublin is good for a few days - you can stay in the city, or in one of two little harbour villages outside the city, Howth or Dún Laoghaire. Dublin has the Guiness museum, a famous prison, the Book of Kells, etc., plus a free daily walking tour run by college students that is a lot of fun. Outside of the city is the Hill of Tara, Newgrange, Powerscourt, etc., and you can take day tours to these sights if you like. We saw Trim castle too, and it was a great daytrip, just a bus ride from Dublin. Or, for a different part of Ireland, Galway is great. I don't know if there is a castle nearby, but there are the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands. Plus, Galway is a cute little city with a great vibe and an awesome pub scene. You can take the train or bus there from Dublin, but I'm not sure when the latest one goes.

Posted by
9363 posts

Bunratty Castle and Folk Park are six miles from Shannon Airport, if you fly in there instead. You'll also be close to the Cliffs of Moher, as a previous poster suggested. In Dublin, I would recommend Kilmainham Gaol, the National Museum, Merrion Square (with its Georgian houses), and the hop-n. hop-off bus (take the whole trip, about 90 minutes, to hear the commentary then use it as transportation from one place to another - the ticket is good for 24 hours). I don't believe the walking tours by college students is on during the summer, though, only during the school year.