Please sign in to post.

Bed and Breakfasts

I live in the Oregon US and am planning to fly to England this coming Sept. I was wanting to be able to stay in a B&B in Winchester, Hampshire, and was wondering about the best way to go about it. Is it better to wait til I'm in England before trying to find one, or is there a good way to find one while I'm still in the US. I have checked some Bed & Breakfast websites online, but there doesn't seem to be many, and I keep hearing about how popular the B&Bs are for travelers. Thanks!

Posted by
1819 posts

Hi Marilyn, Check out a website called smoothhound.co.uk. Once at that website, tell it which country, then which city. There are dozens of choices. I would choose only from those listings which include pictures, then cross check a few choices with trip advisor.

Posted by
970 posts

I'd rather have the assurance of knowing I have a place to stay versus the prospect of spending hours at the end of the day looking for one. England is very heavily touristed, by visitors and locals. It is not so big, either, that you can't combine spontaneity with knowing where you'll sleep that night.

Posted by
837 posts

Marilyn, always, always go to tripadvisor.com. There are 44 B&Bs listed with evaluations by persons who have stayed in them. Also, picture galleries of photos taken by customers for each. Definitely reserve in advance. The best places will be identified from tripadvisor by other travelers and, as most are small, the best will likely be filled.

Posted by
38 posts

Great advice. Just checked tripadvisor and can see lots of possibilities. I won't have a car so place needs to be fairly close in, so the map really helps. Thanks all!

Posted by
8293 posts

When you are in Winchester, try to eat at the Willow Tree Pub. The food is good and in fine summer weather there are tables beside the river. Very pretty.