Please sign in to post.

restaurants

Staying in So Kensington area for a week. Any ideas for local restaurants-not high end-would be appreciated.

Posted by
1446 posts

Lots of restaurants in the shopping districts near you. Just read their posted menu. Eat Pub Food. Eat Deli Food. Save money and take "Pret" food and beer back to your room. "Pret" is their word for carryout.

Posted by
4684 posts

Not in English it isn't. ("Pret" would refer to the pricey pseudo-French Pret a Manger sandwich bar chain, in the UK)

Posted by
837 posts

Hereford Arms pub has delightful food and is on Gloucester Road a block or so from the tube station. Burgis Street is a wonderful Singapore restaurant. And, we enjoyed the Thai Square near the So. Kensington tube station.

Posted by
32709 posts

English for carryout is take-away. I have never seen Pret used in that way. Pret-a-Manger is pseudo French for ready to eat, and as mentioned it is a specific chain food place name. Pret-a-Porter is real French for ready to wear, in other words off the rack.

Posted by
1717 posts

Maggie Jones restaurant, at 6 Old Court Place. A very short distance from Kensington Church Street, near High Street Kensington "Tube" station. A very small restaurant, the prices are not low. A fun place. Telephone 020/7937-6462. Reservations are recommended.

Posted by
9 posts

I love The Stockpot restaurant. I know there is one on Old Compton Street but can't remember the address. They have good food at reasonable prices. And yes, Take Away is the English version of our carry-out.

Posted by
7 posts

I am so appreciative of all your suggestions. Am keeping a list of them. Thank you very much.

Posted by
28 posts

There is a very good take out pizza place on Earls Court Road right by the Sainsbury's local. I think it might be run by Russian gangsters but its really good pizza. It also stays open late into the morning if you're not into Kabobs.

Posted by
191 posts

I like to pick up food at Whole Foods when I am in London. There is one in Kensington and a few more throughout the city, including Piccadilly Circus.

Posted by
215 posts

Maggie Jones is a great restaurant for lunch. The prices get
a little steep for dinner.

Posted by
1819 posts

If you'd like to save yourself a few pounds and also get dinner over a little quicker (handy if you are going to the theatre), you can buy lots of good munchies and wine at the Simply Food stores scattered around central London. Or you can splurge and buy some gourmet treats at Fortnum and Mason near Picadilly. If your room has a microwave (fairly common), you have even more options.

Posted by
7 posts

Staying in an apt. so good to know about about options

Posted by
1829 posts

M&S Simply Foods are mini versions of the food halls in the Marks and Spencer (M&S) stores. The stores carry a wider range of fresh and prepared foods, the Deli counters are especially good.

Posted by
180 posts

On Bute Street there is a little French sandwich shop - I think it is Bonne Bourche??? It starts with Bonne. I am in this area a lot and they have the best value for money for a baguette sandwich, drink and sweet - you get change back for a fiver. The French school is very close so this place is hugely popular with the French students. Best advice is to go before noon.

Posted by
7 posts

Nancy, have been to Bonne Bouche twice already. Love it. Just ate at Hereford arms pub, also very good. Love this graffiti wall.

Posted by
1021 posts

The Bunch of Grapes in Brompton Road is an old pub that has good food and drink at a reasonable price. We were there last month after many years absence and were happy to see it is still good. Went for a drink and stayed for dinner. On the borderline of South Ken and Knightsbridge.