Please sign in to post.

travel medical insurance

We're going to Ireland in May & are thinking about travel medical insurance. Has anyone had experience with Atlas International? I got a quote from them & it appears they are insured through Lloyd's of London (the site said "Lloyd's"). The quote seems reasonable and our insurance doesn't apply outside the US. Any feedback?

Posted by
931 posts

Cathy, I can't talk about Atlas International, but I can reccomend two web sites that have all of major carriers. We personally like Squaremouth.com (because of their satisfaction guarantee), but also have had good luck using InsureMyTrip.com. I love the way they display and sort policies on their web sites. For our upcoming trip I had to look for a company that would cover pre-existing conditions. Some will do this if you buy your policy within 15 days, or so, of your 1st purchase (mine was our plane tickets). Make sure that you look at their policy for flying you back home if you get seriously injured. If you are renting a car, have a look at another web site that lists a lot of insurance companies that will completly cover all of the deductable, for a low low rate: www.moneymaxim.co.uk offers a price-comparison service of the ten or so firms that have sprung up in recent years, and the cheapest cover comes out at under £2 a day.

Posted by
9363 posts

Steve, I looked at the Money Maxim site, and in their terms and conditions it says that their services are only available to residents of the UK. Have you actually used their services before, or only looked at the site? The signup form does ask the country of residence, but their terms clearly say it is only available to UK residents, at least for the car rental insurance.

Posted by
931 posts

Nancy, I just "looked". Go to their web site; go to "excess" insurance. Fill out all the info, input "your" country, and go down the list of policies. I inputed "USA" and it gave me several plans to pick from. Then I opened them up, and some expressly said "policy holders can be resident anywhere in the world". For around $30 US I can have fantastic "excess" coverage while I drive for 9 days in Ireland. Can't beat that. If you have any problems PM me.