Please sign in to post.

Night train Oslo to Stockholm

I am going to be heading to Stockholm from Oslo on 16 June 2013, and was hoping to take the night train. In Rick's 13th ed. Scandinavia, he states that there is a: "direct 9-hour night train in summer only." And I have found a few other (older) postings from travelers online that makes it seem like this does happen. However, I have been unable to find an actual schedule for this train online, and it makes me nervous to count on it. I emailed SJ, and it seems this may not be offered any more. Does anyone have definitive information to share on this? Thanks!

Posted by
6 posts

To close the loop on this, I received a reply from SJ: "SJ will not run any night trains between Stockholm and Oslo summer of 2013. We hope you will find some other departures that suits you."

Posted by
162 posts

Hi Lynne -- Guess you saw the reply with the bad news on the night train. I was planning on doing the same ... in August. Just curious if you've decided on what you'll be doing instead. Earlier train? Bus? Plane? Another night in Oslo?

Posted by
3 posts

We are in Trondheim, Norway now. We priced both - train and air - and like you have mentioned - unfortunately the overnight train is no longer available. We bought airfare with SAS for about $450 for 2 tickets from Oslo to Stockholm. We'll be staying 4 days in Stockholm after the conference my husband is attending here. We love Scandinavia 2nd time here! Good luck on your travels!
Susan