Please sign in to post.

yorkshire

I will be in Yorkshire, Durham during the month of December. I am staying in Beverly and New Castle on Tyne. I want to go to several small villages/towns to the west of each place. My grandparents are from these areas. What is the best way to travel, is bus service available. Places include Houghton-le-spring, Hetton le hole, Easington, Howden, Drax.

Posted by
32202 posts

Nellie, It appears that you're covering quite a wide area, so transportation will be an issue. Are you staying in both Beverly and Newcastle-on-Tyne? For details on Bus service, you might check the National Express website. I haven't checked each route, but suspect your best bet would be to use a rental car. Of course you'll be driving on the "correct" side of the road and will have to deal with roundabouts, etc. A GPS along with a good Map would be highly advisable. I'm fairly familiar with North Yorkshire (Catterick, Richmond, Scotch Corner, North York Moors), but not so much the area you'll be travelling in. Hopefully one of the U.K. members here will be able to provide some good suggestions. Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for your help. I will spend the rest of the day following your suggestions.

Posted by
1986 posts

Hutton-Le-Hole is one of my "finds", nice village around a very large, meadow, sheep park with streams. Seems to be out in the middle of nothing but scenery. Near there are Thotnton Dale (?) and many ruined abbeys. Hutton is a very easy drive from the York area, very quiet roads. So should be quite doable by rental car.