Please sign in to post.

London in February

HI! I am planning a trip during February school vacation (2/16-2/22) and I am not sure what the weather is like in England during February. Rain? Snow? Thank you!

Posted by
964 posts

Rain- definitely. Snow- maybe. Chilly- for sure.
I'd suggest wearing layers so you will be warm. Although the temperatures won't look as cold as what you get in Mass, it's a damp cold that I find very pervasive.

Posted by
1389 posts

Bonnie Cold and wet. Probably not snow unless we are unlucky! Bring layers and a good waterproof. Cheers Alan

Posted by
32894 posts

I am not sure what the weather is like in England during February England is quite large with several regional variations on the climate. You said London in your thread title but England in your question. A lot of people use the terms interchangeably even saying England when they mean other parts of the UK including Scotland and Wales. Where exactly do you intend to be? Nobody really knows what the weather will bring due to Global Warming and the destruction of the Gulf Stream. Last winter in many parts of the UK was so dry that hosepipe bans were implemented in most of the country, on the day that the wettest spring and summer in recorded history began. Newspapers last week were predicting one of the coldest winters in history this winter. You can put your money on damp, cold, windy and nasty on at least some days in at least some parts of the country. You may get snow, you may not. Probably some somewhere. You may have fog. Unless it is another awful winter you will almost certainly get rain some of the time. You may have cold and clear, which tend to travel together at that time of the year or you may have warmer (above freezing to 5-10 C) and wet. Warmer and wet also travel together. It is much rarer to have warm and clear or cold and wet. A couple of years ago we had heavy snow starting at the beginning of December and running into March. That, too, was unusual. You may find the southwest is a warmer and often wetter. East Anglia frequently is dryer, or quite dry. Wales gets the most rain along with Cumbria and the Borders. London with its acres of tarmac and skyscrapers tends to be a little warmer and dryer but windier. Its not an exact science.

Posted by
29 posts

Hi! Sorry I should have been more specific...plan on traveling to London for a week in February. Thank you! :-)

Posted by
1068 posts

Bring a brelly! And an extra pair of shoes, in case you get drenched. And Nigel makes EXCELLENT points. As for warmth, you know how well you tolerate the cold, so plan for your own preferences. The Weather Channel says London normally has a high of about 47 and a low of about 36 in February. For me, that means a light jacket, no scarf, no gloves, no hat. For you, it might mean thick wool socks, a muffler, and a down coat. :-) http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/UKXX0085

Posted by
11507 posts

Bring a hat, scarf and gloves,, I went in March once ( was there for St Patricks day , great fun) and it was cold wet and sleeting most of the time. Two good pairs of shoes so one pair can dry out alternately and you can wear the dry pair.

Posted by
2373 posts

Second what Pat said, there in March several years ago or more, can't remember, cold and damp. Much prefer cold to damp, anyway, my scarf saved the day as did extra pair of shoes. I think we even had some snow.

Posted by
713 posts

My first three London trips were in February. It was always cold, sometimes bitter cold, and once there were (and I use the term advisedly) gale force winds that blew for 24 hours. I'm used to an arid climate, and I find that in a more damp place (such as London, or almost anywhere except maybe a desert) the cold just bites down to the bone. I second all the recommendations for wearing layers, and don't forget a hat, a scarf (or a hooded coat), and gloves. Just bundle yourself up as needed for your comfort, and have a great time in London. I found umbrellas were more of a nuisance than a help when moving around in London, but then we never were there when it rained steadily for a day or two. If I were going there in February again, my ideal coat would be lightweight but warm and water-resistant, and have a built-in hood both for warmth and protection from rain. And the advantage of a hood is that you don't have to mess with a hat or (unless you feel the need for it) a scarf. Less stuff to keep track of as you're going in and out of places.