Please sign in to post.

London &Edinburgh

I am looking for recommend hotels or b&b etc for London near kings cross station and in Edinburgh near royal mile.
We are 2 women traveling alone.

Posted by
32198 posts

Kim, Your best bet would be to check the RS Guidebooks for those cities. You should be able to find copies at your local Library or larger bookstores. You could also check Trip Advisor. Is it essential that you stay in the locations you mentioned? I can suggest a Hotel in the Victoria Station area of London if you're interested, or a place in Edinburgh that's a few minutes by Bus from the Royal Mile. One point to clarify - when will the trip be taking place? If you're looking for accommodations in Edinburgh during the Festival in August, room prices on the Royal Mile tend to be on the "pricey" side. Happy travels!

Posted by
279 posts

My mom and I stayed at a guesthouse about two miles south of the Royal Mile in July. It was right on the main north-south road into the heart of the Mile (if we stayed on it, we would have gone right past Waverly Station and into New Town), on Mayfield Garden road. The Ben Doran has really nice rooms, and is in a three block stretch of 18th century row houses that are almost all guesthouses/B&Bs. We were a one minute walk to the bus stop, and a ten minute ride to the Mile. There were several nice restaurants in walking distance if you don't want eat in New Town or near the Mile.

Posted by
5678 posts

Hey Kim, Edinburgh is not a very big place. There are some hotels right on the Royal Mile, but there are lots of places within 10-15 minutes of The Royal Mile. You should look at the B&B's near Dalkeith Road. I stayed in that area one year. I've stayed just behind Calton Hill and further down the hill toward the Royal Botanic Gardens. Most recently, I stayed at The Walton in New Town. It's an easy walk from Waverly and there are lots of restaurant choices there. Pam

Posted by
4140 posts

Kim . you might want to take a look at the Holiday Inn Express on Cowgate in Edinburgh . It was brand new in 2008 and in pristine shape when we stayed there in 2010 . One block off the Mile and next to a church , it was as quiet as a cemetery at night despite its proximity to the mile . Only a 10 -15 minute walk to Waverly station and the airport bus . It was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in ! Enjoy " Auld Reekie " it's Terrific!