Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets: Copenhagen a good choice?

A friend and I are planning a short trip to Europe for the Christmas markets in early December. We've been to the markets in Munich, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Budapest, so we're looking elsewhere. Is Copenhagen a good choice? Since we only have a short break, we don't really want to do a lot of traveling around. Thanks. The other thought was just to go to London for the long weekend (first of Dec.)

Posted by
180 posts

I have not been to the Christmas markets in Copenhagen but friends did last year and loved it. I have been to the markets in Strausborg and Colmar in Eastern France and loved them!!! Transportation by train is fast and convenient from Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. Plus Eastern France is a lot more affordable than Scandanavia!

Posted by
1068 posts

One of the markets in Copenhagen is in Tivoli Gardens. Can't imagine you could top that for adorable-ness. But I haven't been - yet.

Posted by
1 posts

I think a better choice would be Aarhus, Denmark's second-largest city, for anything resembling an Advent Market. They have one in what is called Gammel By (see their website). You can get go-as-you-please public transport tickets at the tourist office or city hall, that will include a hefty discount on the admission to Gammel By. Aarhus is easy to get around. The main shopping district starts across the street from the train station. At the far end of the shopping street is a bank with an excavated Viking-era village (free!) in the basement. There is also a Folk Museum (Moosgaard) on the southern edge of the city. Accommodations and restaurants are cheaper than Copenhagen, too.