Please sign in to post.

Souvenirs

While in London I plan on picking up souvenirs for friends and family. There is one friend that I want to pick up something different than the usually items. This friend loves to cook and bake all from scratch so I would love to pick up cookbook of English cooking for her. The only thing is if at all possible I do not want it to be something a tourist would choose but rather one that that the average english housewife would
get. Any suggestion on where and I can get one,plus title and author. Thanks

Posted by
9126 posts

http://www.booksforcooks.com/story.html Could always look for a copy of Two Fat Ladies Cookbook(and if you can't find in London, it's on Amazon) If any one in London knew what the average English house wife would use as a cookbook they'd be able to tell you here. Charming place plus you get to see and explore the Notting Hill neighborhood.

Posted by
5678 posts

Look for one from the Women's Institutes. My Scottish cookbook is one. It's got old time recipes in it. I've got some American cookbooks that are similar--these are the recipes that grandma used and then some. You should ask in a bookshop or maybe look in one of the charity shops. Might tried used bookstores for older ones. Pam

Posted by
4684 posts

Delia Smith. But not her notorious recent "how to cheat" one.

Posted by
33592 posts

You might also pick up a conversion chart for her as the measurements are different to US ones, and so are the oven temperatures.

Posted by
5806 posts

Keep in mind that most English cookbooks will have quantities by weight using metric units. This won't be a problem if your friend has a cooking scale. In Notting Hill on Blenheim Crescent is the Books for Cooks shop. It is a very small shop, but it is treasure trove of cookbooks (www.booksforcooks.com) My favorite cookbook from England is "Ottolenghi". He owns several shops in London with fabulous, mostly Mediterranean inspired food. This is a very popular cookbook in London, although most definitely not classic English cookery. (www.ottolenghi.co.uk) I also agree a Delia Smith cookbook would be a good one. A book by Nigella Lawson would also be a good choice.

Posted by
241 posts

Delia Smith, jamie oliver, nigel slater, tamasin day-lewis, hugh fearnley-whittingstall .... And of course, Good Housekeeping Cookery Book!
S :0)

Posted by
468 posts

Delia's "Complete How to Cook". (Was originally published in 3 parts.) You can check out her website at deliaonline.com. According to her website it was voted best cookbook of all time in a Daily Telegraph poll. She's not cutting edge but very popular and mainstream. There are a lot of other cooks/chefs with cookbooks published, I like Anna Conti (italian), Nigel Slater (British food) and Rick Stein (fish), +too many others to mention. All bookshops will have a large ion. Another website which might have information is the bbc good food website bbcgoodfood.com. I think this website might be useful to translate recipes from English to US (and vice versa) - I seem to remember using it some time ago for a query.

Posted by
21 posts

Sorry to take so long in answering you replies but have been a little under the weather but better now than later this week. You have all given me some
wonderful info to choose from. THANKS Janis

Posted by
964 posts

I just read in the papers that Jamie Oliver's cookbooks have just overtaken JK Rowling in sales! His 30 minute dinners is a very popular series. Delia Smith is the other one I'd suggest. Or- Indian food is very popular here and Madhur jaffrey is popular and has written many books, whcih are a joy to read as she usually includes a lot about India, it's culture and history.
Hope you're feeling better.