Please sign in to post.

Car insurance

what is the best online car travel insurance to buy for Ireland. we are picking up the car at Dublin. I .heard it gets a little sticky

Posted by
7946 posts

Best is a loaded question. If best is "cheap" it usually isn't "Best". First, by sticky, maybe you are referring to the fact that you cannot rely on your free Credit Card Coverage for rentals in Ireland. That leaves either risking it (only getting the minimum), taking their CDW, or going to a third party. If you will only be renting for a few days, it would probably be "best" to take the CDW. It's easy, little or no claims processing issues, but has a cost element. Third parties or online services I have not dealt with, but certainly there would be some effort to set up coverage and if you had a claim, you may find yourself paying damages then working to get reimbursed. I would consider it if I were renting for a week or more, I hope someone else on here can give you some leads.

Posted by
9369 posts

In Ireland, "best", in my opinion, is taking the super CDW (not just the CDW) to bring your deductible down to zero. If you have a deductible, they could put a hold on your credit card for the deductible amount until you return the car. It can be pricey, but it's the most hassle-free option. If there is problem, you just turn in the car and walk away. Third party insurance will usually kick in after your card is charged for the damage. It can take several weeks to get reimbursed.

Posted by
143 posts

Hi - We rented from Dooley Car Rental last April and were happy with them. Insurance is tricky in Ireland, but some credit cards DO cover the collision damage. For tons of info on renting a car in Ireland, go to this website by Michelle Erdwig. I think it's called Ireland Travel Forum. If you don't find it email me and I'll find it. She is a goldmine of info on Ireland. Julia

Posted by
45 posts

Hi Mary, We travelled to Ireland last September. We took 3rd party insurance, not the Super CDW. When parking at an underground garage, I managed to put a small scrape in the front bumper, probably about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. When I returned the car, I pointed it out but the guy told me he had already seen it. From there it was like the old Arlo Guthrie song Alice's Resturant. We had to go and sit on the Group W bench while they processed us. The upshot was spending about an extra hour, feeling a little humiliated and having to leave the deductable of $1800 on my visa card. While there, there was another couple just furious, because they said the damage to their car was there when they picked it up, but they had not noticed it, and were far from the airport when they did so they didn't go back. I eventually did get most of the money back (not all, lost some in conversion I think) but it took most of 3 months.
We are going back to Ireland again next year. Don't know exactly where or when yet, the only think I am 100% sure of is that I would pay the extra for the Super CDW.