Please sign in to post.

short break in ireland help please

Hi I am planning a surprise 50th holiday for my husband. I think I may be trying to see too much as have read that driving is slow and we do want to enjoy the wonderful scenery on the way. I would really appreciate some comments and suggestions on my planned itinery. Things I should perhaps leave out, or include. Also any great B&B´s on the way We fly in and our of Dublin late september for 7 days. 6 and 1/2 full days in Ireland Day one. Friday... Dublin Day two Saturday...rent car and drive to Clifton. Visit Kylemore Abbey in the afternoon. Sleep in Clifton Day three. Sunday ...Connemare National Park in morning and late lunch in Galway. Drive The Sky Road Tour in afternoon and then on to sleep in Doolin Day four Monday another night in Doolin, visit Cliffs of Mohar and The Burren Day 5 Tuesday Drive to and sleep in Killarney. Ring Of Kerry in the afternoon ? is there time for this Day 6 Wednesday Drive to Cork and spend rest of day and night in Cork Day 7 Leave Cork and drive back to Dublin airport for 15.30 arrival.
Many thanks

Posted by
9369 posts

Is Day One your arrival day? If so, what time do you get in? Day Two is going to be very long. It's about five hours from Dublin to Clifden (not Clifton), and then another hour or so to Kylemore Abbey. You take the Sky Road from Clifden, and actually pass Connemara (not Connemare) National Park on the way. So Day Two and Three might need to be rearranged, since it seems you are driving in circles. Galway doesn't seem workable for lunch unless you are on your way toward Doolin, but then you can't do the Sky Road in the afternoon because it is behind you (unless there is a different Sky Road than I am talking about). Try tracing it on a map and seeing what other way you can arrange your days. Maybe a route past Kylemore Abbey on the way to Clifden, instead of backtracking? If you spend night three in Doolin, you will have passed through the Burren on your way there. On Day Four you could spend some time there, and see the Cliffs of Moher (not Mohar), but why spend a second night in Doolin? You will spend no more than a couple of hours at the Cliffs, and then what will you do for the rest of the day? Personally, I would press on toward Killarney, by way of the Killimer/Tarbert ferry. Day Five could then be spent seeing the Killarney area, or driving the Ring of Kerry if the weather is nice. On Day Seven you will have to start out early. Cork to Dublin is about four hours with no stops. Does your flight leave at 15:30? Are you flying back to Spain? Then you need to be at the airport, after turning your car back in, by no later than 13:30. It's doable, but you will have to pass up Rock of Cashel and some other great things along the way because you won't have time to stop. I would be tempted to skip Cork all together and spend that time in Dublin. It would make for a much less hectic last day.

Posted by
143 posts

Hi - Can't help much with distances, but personally I think you are missing probably the most beautiful area of Ireland - the Dingle peninsula. I found it more beautiful than Ring of Kerry and the town of Dingle is really interesting and attractive. I enjoyed seeing the barren Connemara area but Dingle is where I'd want to spend more time. Be sure to drive around the peninsula. I'd skip Cork and Ring of Kerry myself and include Dingle instead. Just my opinion.

Posted by
977 posts

I totally agree with Julia. One night in Doolin and spend a couple of days in the Dingle area. God's own country! Cork is not a place I would personally want to spend much time in.

Posted by
977 posts

Suzanne check out the AA Ireland site on Google. Put in names of towns ie from: Dingle to: Clonmel It gives you time, distance and approx. cost of fuel. We found it a very useful site.