Please sign in to post.

Aran Islands

Is it worth the trip to the Aran Islands if I have some spare time?

Posted by
13 posts

Hi Brian-

I was there in 2003 and I would say YES if you enjoy ruins, hiking, incredible sea cliffs and wildlife. I haven't been to Inish Maan, but was in Inish Oir (pronounced inisheer)and Inishmore, and both were great. We took a day trip to Inish Oir with a local guide in a one-horse buggy, explored the ancient church, and went for a quick pint. Lovely! It is quite a small, flat island one day there was perfect.

The main island, Inishmore, is easily explored by bike (you can rent them) and offers amazing ruins and forts (Dun Aengus is just one!) On a clear day, you can enjoy some beautiful beaches and views to the mainland. On a rainy/stormy day, the hikes along the sea cliffs and near the blow holes take on a new level of intensity - and don't forget to reward your self with a pint. If memory serves, you can by a return bus/ferry ticket which takes you direct to the ferry port from Galway - 2-3 days is plenty of time, but you can always linger...

Posted by
196 posts

lucky you; I've wanted to go here ever since reading "Riders to the Sea" in high school