Please sign in to post.

Cornwall, England

I am looking for B&B recommendations in Cornwall, UK, specifically around Newquay or Penzance or Port Isaacs. Also, has anyone taken the night train from London to Penzance? Thanks

Posted by
409 posts

If you have a car, I highly recommend Downs Barn Farm B&B in St. Buryan, just outside Penzance. Two beautiful rooms, great breakfast, charming hosts, walking paths down to the sea....a top-notch B&B!

Posted by
366 posts

No b&b recommendations for you, but I did take the night train from Penzance to London in early June (I assume it is the First Western operated train as ours was). If you have specific questions, post here or send me an e-mail message and I'll try to fill in details you're looking for.

Posted by
3580 posts

I stayed at Shoreline Guest House in Penzance last year. It is beautifully done-up and the breakfast was the full English job. It's walking distance or a short cab ride from the train station. From Penzance buses will carry you around the area, including to St. Ives. St. Ives is prettier, but very hilly.

Posted by
167 posts

The last contributor mentioned the buses that would take you around the area near Penzance and St. Ives. I wonder if there are buses throughout the UK that take persons most places making a car unnecessary? We have riden buses from Coventry to Stratford-upon-Avon and also in the Lake District and found them very affordable and comfortable. Perhaps there are buses such as this in Cornwall too.

Posted by
2800 posts

@Jerry, there are areas in England that doesn't have a lot of bus services...The Cotswolds is one...there are so many small quaint villages that the only way to reach them is to have a car, other wise you will miss seeing them.

Posted by
409 posts

I have just returned from a one-week stay at a cottage we rented in Port Isaac...75 yards from the harbor. If you would like to learn more or ask me any other questions, please send me a personal message through this site.