Please sign in to post.

travel to Ireland

This is my first trip to Europe and Ireland. I want it to be most memorable and try to get the very best for my money and travel time. What is the best way to do the very first visit to Ireland? I have a lot of ancestry from Ireland, I'd like to visit the Countryside, not a bunch of tourist traps in the cities.

Posted by
9363 posts

Could you maybe give us a little more to go on? How long is your trip, and when are you going? What is your budget for lodging? How are you going to be getting from place to place? What are your interests? Are you traveling alone or with others? Have you looked at guidebooks? Are you considering a guided tour, or making all of the arrangements yourself? The more you can tell us, the better opinions we can give you.

Posted by
8645 posts

As you've not provided any info other than it's your first trip, and wish to bypass the tourist traps, my suggestion is buy a good map, arrange a car rental, land at the airport, pick up the car and start driving. Small island. Lots to see.

Posted by
43 posts

I believe that you would enjoy the west coast and just know that from the months of June to August there is an influx of tourists. Where else in Europe are you traveling to? Patty

Posted by
42 posts

If you get a rental car be prepared to have very narrow roads out in the country side,(get a sub compact). Get an automatic transmission ; all your attention will need to be on the road. You will be driving on the left hand side of the road ; round abouts and intersections will be tricky at first. And all of this the driver sits on the right hand side of the car.
Get rick steves book on ireland and a good road map.

Posted by
32198 posts

Al, One of the most memorable and interesting ways to see Ireland would be with the Rick Steves Ireland tour. I took one a few years ago, and it was fantastic! The tour covers a "loop" of the island over a 14 day period through both parts of Ireland. Happy travels!

Posted by
1 posts

Al, suggest renting a car. We recently stayed at Wicklow Way Lodge - great place if you want to do some hiking right outside the front door and see Glendalough (and do more hiking). Also, Lawcus Farm Guesthouse is great - Ann Marie and Mark will provide great recommendations for visiting local sites. Good luck and enjoy!